Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 You're not first - what next? >

You're not first - what next?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Go ahead as planned.
47.87%
Drive to another spot.
25.53%
Go home.
0%
Stay parked but hunt a different spot.
23.40%
Other.
3.19%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

You're not first - what next?

Old 10-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: You're not first - what next?

RESPECT The other hunter didn't know it was your spot. Don't ruin his hunt. If at all possible try and be there when they come out and find out where they are hunting. Work together and you might find another hunting partner. I always thought there should be a system seeing as how you can't leave a stand in the woods.(at least not in wi)
Old 10-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I drive to another spot .
Public is and always has been "first come-first served" and should be . No matter how you enter the original spot you're gonna spoil the other guy's set up . A public where I used to hunt had only one usable access since all the land around it is private , if there was a vehicle there when you got there it was pointless to park .
Old 10-30-2006, 05:48 AM

Folks I really appreciate the input and we did indeed use your data in our discussions yesterday morning in class. I appreciate the honest answers - there are no wrong answers.

It appears we're pretty much split on "go ahead" and "hunt somewhere else" - that data was confirmed in our class as well. About half thought - especially in a bow hunting scenario - if much time was spent scouting and preparing then slowly stalk the stand and avoid confrontation. The other half decided avoid any confrontation at all by hunting somewhere else. The bottom line is, most hunters really do want to avoid confrontation and that's good news.

So, next time you're all set in a favored spot and someone walks in, chances are that guy is sorry and did try to avoid you. We've all had cases of self-serving people that walk in and set up even though they know you're there, but they are in the minority and that's indeed good news.

Again - thanks for the help.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:22 AM

About 4 years ago, I was hunting a spot on public ground. I hunted it all day Saturday and Sunday. Packed up camp on Sunday night and went home. I decided to call in Monday and take a day of vacation. I drove back to "MY" spot early that morning. I just knew I would see a deer due to all the deer sign. I rounded the corner and my heart just sank. There was a truck in my parking spot. I lost all hopes of killing a deer. Drove another 1/2 mile down the road and just pulled over and walked in the woods with a flash light. Walked out about 100 yards and climbed a tree..30 minutes later shot a small spike. I may be wrong and Im sure you guys will let me know..But my experience in hunting public lands is scouting doesnt all ways pay off. My way of thinking is the hunting pressure causes the deer to abondon normal trails, and the more hunters the more likely deer will be jumped and forced into moving around. How do you feel about this..Wrong or agree.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:39 AM

I dont think you should go ahead as planned because you risk really pissing somebody off and who knows what that guy would do to the hunting area people can be real jerks. I dont think you should go home because your chances at getting a deer just dropped 100%. If you drive to another spot then that guy will still think he is the only person hunting there. Thats why I think you should park at the same spot and hunt around him. Maybe you will run into him exiting the woods or at the truck and explain to the hunter that you had scouted the area and planned to hunt it but didnt know anyone was also looking at hunting there. Maybe then you can come to an agreement without making anybody mad.