Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you take the shot?!?!?!? Please vote... >

Would you take the shot?!?!?!? Please vote...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I have road hunted.
22.00%
No, I have never road hunted.
58.00%
Sometimes I look around going to stand or coming home.
20.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Would you take the shot?!?!?!? Please vote...

Old 10-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Would you take the shot?!?!?!? Please vote...

I posted a full story in the Bowhunting Contest Forum, under Team 5 - "Tree Huggers" of what happened while I was hunting yesterday evening and a road hunter fired a rifle and killed a deer very close to me. But I am just curious as to how many of you have road hunted?

Now I'm not talking about road hunting with a high powered rifle, but perhaps it's a rainy day or windy day....have you ever taken your bow and just drove around?

I know the last time I was at the archery shop there was a couple guys talking about what all they had seen while driving around on old backroads and so on and so forth. No need to a big explaination if you have, just a simple vote and you don't have to post who you are or nothing. I'm just kinda curious as to how many have done it, or do it, or don't do it.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you take the shot?!?!?!? Please vote...

No I would never do it. Its illegal. And originally being from WV I know its illegal there. However,I also know there are alot of yahoos running around in the WV hills that do it everyday. Sureburns my A$$. [:@]
Old 10-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I drive around and look at deer, but not to hunt them. Just to watch em. And also, rifle season doesn't open in WV for another month. Those were poachers you saw.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nohillbilly

I drive around and look at deer, but not to hunt them. Just to watch em. And also, rifle season doesn't open in WV for another month. Those were poachers you saw.
Amen nohillbilly
Old 10-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nohillbilly

Amen!!!!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

'sometimes i look around going to stand or coming home' - what does that mean, we all look around?

Old 10-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know it was poachers I saw. It burned my @$$ that they shot that deer from the road with a high powered rifle. I know all the seasons, laws, and so forth.

Rackluster....I have heard people say they were on their way to their hunting area and saw a deer and have shot it from the road....or heard them say they were coming home right at dark and saw one and shot it. They weren't so to say driving around all day looking for a deer to shoot, but were coming home and saw one. That's what I meant......you would be shocked to hear some of the stuff that goes on in some small archery shops when people are just talking and bs'ing.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:17 AM

Well i picked (Sometimes I look around going to stand or coming home) That just because some times we will drive around in the middle of the day on our way to lunch or what not and see deer beded in a woods THAT WE ARE ALLOWED TO HUNT and that evening we will set up on them like that.
So im not sure if that really counts towards what i selected but some times thats is what we will do, But i have never shot one from a paved working road.

Liek i have shot them on foot on an old abanded dirt road but thats about it.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Road hunting is technically not illegal in PA, you can ride around and look all you wish, you just can't shoot, shooting from a vehicle is illegal unless you have a special permit via handicapped and then the vehicle has to be parked off of a road. Shooting at an animal after stepping out of the vehicle is illegal unless you are 35 yards off the road (I think that's the correct distance, correct me if it is not, I don't ride around to do it so I'm not quite sure). Shooting onto someone else's property is illegal, especially without permission and on posted property, so in reality, road hunting has no wins, when done successfully, it makes you a poacher, I prefer not to be one.

If I were in a state that allows shooting from vehicle, I still would not do it, it's not appealing to me and the way I hunt. I don't derive success simply because of a tagged animal.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:33 AM

My step dad is the one whom introduced me to hunting. He was not what I considered a ethical hunter. He would kill deer from a boat while swimming, from a truck if he saw one. My first deer killed was from a boat. I was only a teenager following the example set for me. After killing that deer I felt like it was wrong and not very sportsmanlike. Not long after that I moved away for college and my step dad passed away. I have never illegally hunted like that again, and it took my close to 10 years to teach myself how to hunt the right way. No I dont kill deer every year but I get more enjoyment out of doing it the right way. I am still grateful he took the time to introduce me to hunting. Just not the proper way.

Quick Reply: Would you take the shot?!?!?!? Please vote...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.