Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer Tracking Service >

Deer Tracking Service

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Tracking Service

Old 10-25-2006, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Deer Tracking Service

I know that there are services in some states that have dogs that track wounded deer if you have exhausted all other options. Having lost a deer, for the first time in my life, I was wondering if any of you knew of a service like this in Northern VA? It would be nice to have that phone # in your wallet if things get away from you. Thanks for the help.

Mike
Old 10-25-2006, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Tracking Service

If you have any friends that own a dog that should work. Even my parents' little crappy ****zu thingy can track a shot deer. My lab mix is great at it and so is my weimaraner, but I think pretty much any dog can do it. Especially if it is a gut shot.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

I have a bird dog, but it has never tracked a deer. Do I just let it smell the arrow and take it to the last spot that I saw the deer?

Mike
Old 10-25-2006, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Mike,
I'm in VA also. I have an Australian Cattle Dog and he's pretty good at finding dead deer. You don't need a special breed to have a good tracking dog. Any healthy dog will work. But, to train him you'll need to bring him in the woods to find a deer that you haven't lost for the first few times. Reward him like crazy once you find him. You may want to lead the way the first outing but don't discourage him from using his nose. You may even want to run your glove over the glands and let him smell it and then command him to "go get it". It only took my dog one try and the second time he went straight to it, but it was only about a hundred yards. But he knew what he was looking for. Try walking in a big circle if he's having trouble. This way he'll get a smell of the deer (if it's in your circle) from the wind, and should lead you to it.
Good luck!
Where in VA did you shoot this deer? And when?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Killer Primate has good suggestions. All I did was take my dogs out when I shot one and took them to where I shot it. They did the rest automatically. I didn't have to really train them at all. I tried to reward them with treats when they found the deer but they didn't give a crap about the fake steak, they wanted the real deal... so I gave them some.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/

They have a state to state listing of available trackers and are always looking for more to participate. Currently there are no listing for VA. but the site offers other links as well.

If anyone is interested, please join and give your fellow hunters a hand at recovery, it's the right thing to do.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the advice. I did take my dog out and she did a great job. The reason I could not find my deer is that someone stole it. I followed my little bird dog for about 400 yards and there was the gut pile. That means that someone is hunting illegally on park land or they were out for a walk and saw my buck and decided to take it. At least I have some closure and the deer is not rotting. I thought I had lost my mind. I am going to train my dog in this a little bit this season. Get her out when I shoot deer and let her track them. When she is confident, I will assist any of you VA guys that need help. Great suggestion Rob, thanks for the help. Nothing like losing a 125 class deer right off the bat.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

man thats rough...at least you and your dog had fun