Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question for Missouri hunters >

Question for Missouri hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question for Missouri hunters

Old 10-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default Question for Missouri hunters

I know you are not allowed to use dogs for hunting deer but is it ok to use them to track one I shot and am having troubles finding? I think I'm going to get me a weimaraner tomorrow if the breeder has one left still. Just need to know so I can start training him/her now while still a puppy. Also, does anyone else use a weimaraner for this?Just curious to how well they do.

I got a weim pup about 4-5 years ago and shortly after moving into a new home she got into some rat poisoning someone put in a small hole in the wall of the garage behind some shelves. We rushed her to the vet and they did all they could to save her but no luck. They are great dogs and were excited to get another. Thanks,
Brandon
Old 10-24-2006, 10:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question for Missouri hunters

Don't worry about the dog just try to get the cardinals to lose. But seriously, I don't think it really matters what kind of dog. They have had really good luck w/ drahatars, jack russels and many others. I would say most of it is in the nose of the dog and the training. I have decided to get a dog myself and will be getting a drahatar. I dont know if I spelled it right but it is supposed to be a great dog for blood trailing. I will never lose another deer. I had a huge loss this season and have done everything I can to get a dog on my trail but I have had no luck. never again. I will keep my dog handy just in case. nothing like loseing a boone and crocket to make you think.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go Cards!!!!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:02 PM
Typical Buck

Now why would I want the Cards to lose?! Anyways, these dogs are supposed to be good for tracking blood trails but I want that specific dog just because I like them. I just really need to know if I can legally use the dog to track a dead deer, I know I cant use it to track while hunting but the Missouri hunting and trapping regulations book doesn't say anything about recovering a dear with a dog.
Brandon
Old 10-25-2006, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

Anyone know?
Old 10-25-2006, 08:07 AM

If it's not addressed in the rule book it should be ok. But your best
bet is to talk to a conservation agent and ask them. I would say
they aren't going to have a problem with it. They may tell you if
you are tracking a downed deer you better not have a weapon with
you. Because if you don't have a weapon with you, you are just going for
a walk.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:16 PM

bhensley,, I think it is ok to use a dog for tracking in Missouri, there may be something about having it on a leash, and Id advise that if your hunting on land where anyone else hunts. I use my Weimaraner for tracking but always keep a hunter orange collar on her, even on my own private property, they are large dogs and are similarly colored to deer, you dont want anyone to mistake your dog for a deer, or just simply shoot it for being there. Weims have a very good nose, and are very smart dogs, but some have a little problem with being hard headed and hyper. I got lucky with mine and she is very level headed and laid back, she found a couple deer last year, one whick would have been a very hard track job, and she found it in about 15 minutes. I dont think you can start your too early and I started taking mine on recoveries when she was a year old, because I had to wait for season to open. I havent gotten mine polished up good on trailing as well as Id like to yet, but if she gets downwind of it she will lead me right to it. I wish I had a litter right now, I had her bred in her last heat, and she should have had pups sept 11, but she didnt stick. She is in heat again right now, but I dont want to have winter puppies, so Ill wait till spring to breed her again. Good luck with it.