Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 It was hard...but I let him walk >

It was hard...but I let him walk

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

It was hard...but I let him walk

Old 10-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default It was hard...but I let him walk

I was on stand at 12:30pm today over a scrape. At 4:20pm a coyote came through and I thought about sticking him but I passed. At 5:30pm I started hearing a group of coyotes howling and barking about 1/2 mile away and figured all the deer in the area would be too spooked to move- WRONG!!! At 6:15pm a nice basket 8 came from down wind of the scrape right where I expected one to come from. He was 25 yards out and it was about 20 minutes before legal light was over so I decided to let him walk because I was pretty sure my chances of arrowing him and recovering him before morning was pretty slim and I knew the coyotes would get him before morning. So it was tough to let him walk but I did. That would have been my first deer ever. I will get him another day.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: It was hard...but I let him walk

Nice choice, you would have been sick to your stomach if you werent able to recover him.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

That would have been my first deer ever.
Talk about restraint!!! Wow!

To tell you the truth, I've never worried about coyotes getting to a deer before me, and we've got them all over where I hunt. Put the arrow in the boilermaker, and he'll be dead within 15 seconds anyway... You'll have plenty of time to get him before the yotes do. He shouldn't be more than 50 yards away anyway.

Now I would have LOVED to have had a chance to shoot that coyote! I've got quite a few deer on the walls around here, and I'm starting to look for different animals to mount...
Old 10-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

I agree that had to be hard to hold back. You will be happy you did when you are more sure of the chances of recovery. With those yotes howling... unless you had some buddies willing to help you tracksoon after...I think you made the right move too. Who knows.... even a good shot in low light could go a little far back.... and then you would have had to wait... and who knows? Good move. Congrats on the control.
DW
Old 10-24-2006, 07:17 PM

Do you hunt on post? I've been seeing them move pretty good lately. I am hoping to get my son one this weekend during the youth season. Good job.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

CONGRATULATIONS on a 100% perfect and ethical decision!! You are on your way to being a GREAT hunter!!! I truely commend you for your decision!! Way to go!
Old 10-24-2006, 07:59 PM

I agree with your decision... I would have done the same thing. You will have plenty of other chances in life... that was the most ethical and respectful decision you could have made. Shows you have respect for nature and it's belongings.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Monie

CONGRATULATIONS on a 100% perfect and ethical decision!! You are on your way to being a GREAT hunter!!! I truely commend you for your decision!! Way to go!
I am very impressed too. Good decision making!
Old 10-24-2006, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

Hey thanks for the replies guys. I didn't really post this to get a pat on the back. I posted mostly to show others that it isn't all about going out there taking a shot every chance you get. Heck it was alot of fun and very exciting just seeing that buck. I kinda wish I would have stuck that coyote though- he was very beautiful and would have been a nice full body mount.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

if you had a good shot i would have taken it.dont you carry a good flashlight?if you did you can wait the needed time and then recover the deer with a good light.good luck on him again.

Quick Reply: It was hard...but I let him walk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.