Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No Deer

Old 10-24-2006, 12:35 PM

Default No Deer

I have been hunting archery here is southwest pa since opening day, September30. I have only seen one deer from the stand. One. I thought maybe it was me but my dad, uncle and cousin have seen less than 5 different deer all year. We had cameras out early in the summer and got some pictures of some decent bucks. When I started hunting here 9 years ago, it was difficult to not see numerous deer per hunt. Recently more coyotes and bear have been spotted but could that lead to whitetails being on the endagered species list? The cameras out now are only getting 1-2 does on them every two weeks. I love bowhunting and will continue to do so but it less enjoyable when I go weeks without seeing a deer. Any Pa guys/girls out there who have been seeing plenty of deer? I know the regulations changed two years ago and although we have been shooting larger bucks, we are seeing record lows in their population. I would rather enjoy numerous deer than one nice buck in the rut. My question is what to do? it is getting to the point where is it worth the money and the driving 2.5 hours to my cabin and not see a single deer. Could it be predators? Also the neighboring property owners have instituted a No Doe Hunting rule and they own probably 500 acres each. I believed this is beneficial but where are the results?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:11 PM

Default RE: No Deer

Same here. No deer until Sat AM that is. I had1 doe come in, but couldn't geta shot. Yesterday PM I had 5 does all in shooting range 15-30 yards. Could have taken any one of them, but this property I can't shoot the "pretty" does according to the landowners wife. Stay out there, it'll happen.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

pahunter

im huntin in southwest PA too and i have only seen around 8 doe total....

dont lose hope though

with the cold weather, the rut is gonna be in full swing in a couple days to a week and i bet there will be some bucks runnin around.

good luck
Old 10-24-2006, 01:26 PM

Yeah, I am not sure what is with this year. I am used to seeing a TON of deer, in the fields along the interstate, from my stand, in field close to town... haven't seen NEARLY as much deer activity this year as I have the last few. It's got me baffled, but I saw a ton out last night, so I'm hoping with the impending rut they will be up and moving soon.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

man you guys make me feel GOOD. this is my FIRST year bowhunting(ive hunted for 8 years now) but this is the first with a bow. i coulda shot 2 illegal bucks, 5 doe, and one good shooter buck so far this year. thats not counting the ones that winded me or i jumped! just the ones in bow range while i was on stand. cant go to "ole faithful" anymore. gotta find the deer! sounds to me like the deer know your there if your cameras are now not getting hit. or they changed patterns and the summer pattern isnt being used..gota find them and then youll see them. sure years ago i swear if you sat ANYWHERE on opening day you could kill atleast a doe and its not that way anymore, theres still a good number of deer out there.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't worry i've only seen 4 deer also. 3 2 weeks ago and a monster lastnight at my new hunting spot. There starting to move tho i've seen 5 just tonight while riding my ATV.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:40 PM
Typical Buck

seems to be common. i've been huntin southwestern p.a. and only seen about 8 as well all season