Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Short story of a Texas Desert mulie hunt >

Short story of a Texas Desert mulie hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Short story of a Texas Desert mulie hunt

Old 10-23-2006, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default Short story of a Texas Desert mulie hunt

HI Guys
I am not much of a story teller, sorry, just a quick note to share my Texas desert Mulie hunt. This is a Doe I took sat evening, I was set up in a blind and took her at 4:45 pm. I went to this same ranch last year and attempted to spot and stalk...I dont think its possible in that kind of terrain to do! They ran me ragged, thier Eyesight and hearing are incredible, def more intuned IMO than A Whitetail, I didnt get a sense that thier sense of smell was as keen, as I was busted several times by just slight movement ...Most def from what I have read, these animals are not Stupid, They were imo an extreme bowhunting adversary, and if not for the blind, would have went another year without taking one.

If you truly want to try your skills on a formabable prey, I would def suggest a Desert mulie...Had fun, didnt se any Big bucks, nor did any come in, but this First Doe was a great trophy for me.

I apologize for the pic quality also

Old 10-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Short story of a Texas Desert mulie hunt

Way to go Rico!
Old 10-23-2006, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congraulations. What part of West texas are you hunting? We hunt out near big Bend and it is some of the most rugged country you would ever want to hunt. The area around there looks similar on the flats though we hunt up on a mesa.It looks gentle you will walk along and all of a sudden come to a 300' drop. I seen a deer a few years ago go up the side of the mesa in a few leaps that took us 30 minutes to climb. If you get any deer at all out in West Texas it is a trophy.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

I've never hunted in that kind of country but im guessing it should be hard with all the open terrain.Congrats on a fine doe.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Talon! Jeffs, we were hunting just outside of a lil town called Sanderson...seemed like the whole place closed down at noon, it was so small.

Pretty interesting place, saw plenty of javelina and hordes of Desert Chickens (Blue Quail) Would have been nice if those had been in season!

More Mule deer than you can shake a stick at, saw only two Whitetails, they didnt get a very good welcome from the dominant Mulies in the area!

My buddy saw two Young Bucks traveling a ridge together, One mulie and a Whitetail, that would have made a interesting picture huh?

Big Bend I hear is beautiful, Its probaly about a 100 miles south west of where we were..I think.

Your Right, its beatiful and treacherous terrain.

Take care

Old 10-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know exaxctly where Sanderson is. I have a friend who as a ranch there and we used to hunt whitetails there. It seems to be right on the edge of where the mule deer and whitetails are located so you will see both. You are right there is not much out there and the town closes down early. The blue quail are a lot of fun to hunt in season but the are hard to get to fly. Though if you really want to get in the middle of nowhere come to the Big Bend area. The nearest town to where we hunt is Study Butte about 20 miles away which is basically a little gas station and liquor store. The nearest place to really get anything is Alpine which is 50 miles north. Once we get to the ranch we have to travel 9 miles off road to get to the camp site.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

Hey, the farther away from houston I can get the better! I saw the signs for Alpine...How big is it?

I noticed that about the blue quail...they sure are fat plump looking looking delicious looking desert chickens though!
Old 10-23-2006, 05:05 PM

congrats on your texas mulie it doesnt matter if its a buck or a doe it will always be a trophy with a bow.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:09 PM
New Sheriff

WTG Rico........

Spitfires?
Old 10-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

Hey 4pt! Where have you been? LOL, No, Slick tricks...but now, I like to call them Rick tricks

Thank you
Come on down to the Hunting net saloon sometime...buy you a beer!

Thank you NBHunter

Quick Reply: Short story of a Texas Desert mulie hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.