Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 is 4 inches of penatration enough?? >

is 4 inches of penatration enough??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is 4 inches of penatration enough??

Old 10-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: is 4 inches of penatration enough??

i shoot a hoyt hypertec at 70 lbs love it....................
Old 10-22-2006, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think you hit exzactly where i hit a buck monday. arrow went in about 3 inches+broadhead..broke off a couple yds away and had 3-4 inches of blood on it. im guessing i hit just behind the shoulder but will never know. gave him about an hour and a half. trailed 400yds..NEVER bedded or anything. good red muscle blood the whole way. took us 2.5hrs to make it 400yds. searched another half hour for blood and it started to spit rain. hit the driveway to find blood before the rain so see if/where he crossed it so we knew where to begin in the morning. 6 of us searched the next day 5yds apart no joke every inch of woods for a GOOD solid half mile+..never found him. im more then convinced hes alive and well. heres some GOOD reading if you dont find him i bet you hit where i did...above the spine...most guys dont realize theres such a large area ABOVE the spine to hit... http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...7344;p=5%C2%A0
im more then convinced mine is alive and well. if he was dead we woulda found him. reason i hit there was because he ducked as the arrow was in flight. i had a lighted nock on and was flying true..till he ducked[:@]...you MAY got the far lung though..i was in a stand but my shot the buck was practically level flat with me on the next hillside. i dont know why i didnt get penetration! im shooting about 60lbs of KE and brand new broadheads!! just mad he ducked. them suckers are quick is all i gota say. im more then convinced hes alive and almost posative i seen him last evening driving down the road. good luck in your search...regaurdless give it your all. all it takes is a little swelling or cutting from the BH if its still in him and he can be paralyzed and down..or maybe you got lung and hes down...or maybe you got a hole in the chest cavity somewhere and he will pretty much drown himself. good luck.....
Old 10-22-2006, 09:23 PM

If your arrow got 4 inches of penetration, he oughta be dead...that is, if you in fact did hit the shoulder. Think about it, what is right behind a deer's broadside shoulder? Your arrow should beright in the chest cavity. And furthermore, it's not like deer have a shoulder/rib cage that's six inches thick. Are you sure that you didn't hit FORWARD of the shoulder?
Old 10-22-2006, 09:27 PM

Also, when an arrow hits a deer and stops w/o much penetration andflops around while the deer runs off before the arrow falls out, it's not like those razor sharp blades stop cutting. Think about that the next you don't get a pass through and start gettin' nervous abouttracking.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a shot I made once. The arrow didn't penetrate very far and had tallow on it. Had a decent blood trail starting out, but tapered off to nothing within100 yards. Never found the deer. Am sure he lived. Hope your outcome is better.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

I hate to say it but it sounds like this deer won't be found. Shoulder hits are tough. I've done it, my brother knocked a buck off its feet in Iowatwo yearsago with a direct shoulder hit. The buck got up and wasn't seen again. I hope your outcome is different. Good luck
Old 10-22-2006, 09:58 PM

I believe it is extremely rare to penetrate a shoulder bone with a "smack dab" shoulder shot on a "nice" buck (say 2 1/2 yrs. or older). It all depends exactly where it hit, but with my two experiences they were goners. One I almost shot again two days later. Is it possible it only penetrated 2 inches and broke off2 inches outside his body?Nevertheless an all out search is a must. Good luck, hope you find him.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:00 PM

Hey, man, these forums are great and all to hear other people's opinions, but don't dare give up just because of what others are saying to ya. Exhaust all resources and find that deer. Just this year already I drilled my biggest buck yet squarethrough the shoulder from 30 yds. My arrow stopped in the opposite-side shoulder and he didn't go 40yds after that. Do not give up...shoulder hits arealmost always lethal.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: buckmaster_27

I call BS on this one........you seriously say you blew through BOTH shoulders?? I shot a buck the other day at less than 10 yards, with an 80lb draw Bowtech Extreme. I'm shooting heavier grain arrows too, so I have really high kinetic energy and power.

Anyway, at around 8 yards quartered away, the arrow blew through the torso and stuck in the opposite shoulder. It didn't even come close to blowing through and I guarentee my arrow is hitting harder than yours. If you caught the end of the shoulder blades where its really thin, then OK its possible. But if you are saying you blew through both shoulder bones, you did it in your sleep.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:24 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jhalfhill

ORIGINAL: buckmaster_27

I call BS on this one........you seriously say you blew through BOTH shoulders?? I shot a buck the other day at less than 10 yards, with an 80lb draw Bowtech Extreme. I'm shooting heavier grain arrows too, so I have really high kinetic energy and power.

Anyway, at around 8 yards quartered away, the arrow blew through the torso and stuck in the opposite shoulder. It didn't even come close to blowing through and I guarentee my arrow is hitting harder than yours. If you caught the end of the shoulder blades where its really thin, then OK its possible. But if you are saying you blew through both shoulder bones, you did it in your sleep.
It may have, I pulled a shot at 30 yards on a elk and hit him in the front shoulder it blew threw both and they are a lot tuffer to get threw than deer. the arrow didn't exit fully but it did go threw. but I shoot a 70lb Mathews with 2315's and thunderhead 125's. them is big heavy arrows and they penitrait. Im just sayin??

Quick Reply: is 4 inches of penatration enough??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.