Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting in high winds? >

Hunting in high winds?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting in high winds?

Old 10-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting in high winds?

I'm trying to decide if I should go and attempt an evening hunt tonight. The wind forecast is for 11 MPH with gusts up to 23 MPH. I'm looking outside right now at a lot of branches swaying around on the trees and it doesn't look to promising. It usually calms down a bit that last hour of daylight which is the golden hour of movement.

Have you ever had any success in winds like I've mentioned? With the way my stands are set up, the worst case, if the wind direction is right, is to deal with a slight quartering tailwind going to my left. I could swing my climber around and deal with the crosswind though, but I'd be limiting my shooting lane area. Your thoughts are welcome, but either way I'm out the door at 1430 for my evening hunt.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:07 AM

Default RE: Hunting in high winds?

I never have had much success hunting in high winds but I have taken a few deer during the middle of the day when the wind was blowing extrememly hard. During high winds I prefer to hunt hardwood ridges rather than anything close to a field.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have noticed deer moving more cautiously in strong winds, probably because they can't hear anything, but I have seen them moving around nonetheless. My main concern is making a quality shot in a swaying tree. That adds a bit of a challenge.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ive had pretty good sucess in hi winds, all you can do is try it, the deer will move in the wind but may be skitish.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Marine...stronger wind appears advantageous for still hunting...those trees can bend some on stand.....SEMPER FI
Old 10-20-2006, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

I'm looking at 25 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 40 mph for my sons youth hunt tomorrow. We'll be out there, hopefully they will move a little.

SEMPER FIDELIS from me as well
Old 10-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I gave up hunting in high winds unless it's a cold front moving in, especially with snow. I did take one P&Y and viewed many big bucks under these conditions, but otherwise it's a waste.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

I just got back from my high wind evening hunt and the only game animal I saw was a black bear. Once the surprise wore off, I anticipated a kill on this beast. The closest he got to my stand was about 44 paces. It looked more like 40 yards from my stand. I was presented with a perfect broadside shot at that distance, but I didn't take the shot. Why? Well, I just havn't shot enough arrows with 100 gr. Muzzys on them at that distance. []

I was really hoping that he would have came closer, but he angled off to the left. So at least I know I didn't get winded because it's rare to see black bears if they wind you first. I was waiting for that 25 yard shot, as I want the thing dead and not wounded. So the day was not a total loss, as this is the first time I've ever seen a black bear while on stand.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:03 PM

windy days are a great time to still hunt standing corn. with the noise you can get mighty close. it is very fun
Old 10-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Fork Horn

Wind was blowing like crazy when I shot my buck in WV last saterday. I felt almost like a surfboarder in that loggy.