Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NY Deerhunting

Old 10-19-2006, 05:07 PM

Default NY Deerhunting

Just wanted to make my first post! I have been reading this site for about a year but just signed up. GREAT SITE with alot of good info.
With Bow season now almost a week old I was wondering how other upstate NY hunters have been doing, seems like a slow start compared to other years. By now other years I have at least drawn or shot a deer this year I have seen in range ONE deer!
Old 10-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY Deerhunting

ive seen rubs EVERYWHERE, in 1 weekend ive seen 4 buck, 3 at one time, and a few does... where in NY do u hunt, im in 3h?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:21 PM

I'm in Oneida, Madison County, NY.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:25 PM

I spend time in either 8P(camp) or 8F(home). I have seen lots of sign thedeer to me seem to still be very nocturnal. Maybe if the weather gets colder they will move earlier??
Old 10-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome CB, about time you joined. I'll give ya a little heads up. If you want answers strictly from us NY guys, you should post things like this under the regional Northeast section. Thats where all us NY'ers hang out for state topics.
Anyways, I bowhunt both the Northern & Southern tier areas. Northern tier was real slow. I didn't see much, but was lucky enough to arrow a doe. So far Southern tier has been going pretty good. I saw 7 opening day. Between 3 of us we saw 22 deer over the past wknd. They were moving alot, and all day. Thats kinda unusual for our area. My brother just got back from hunting past 2 days, and he arrowed a small 7pt. I just got back from checking it out. He said the darn thing was chasing 3 doe all over the woods for a good 15mins. He said it was quite the show. This is definitly unusual for our area. We don't normally see chasing until 1st wk Nov.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:32 PM

thanks for the info I usually just read the Bowhunting section but will check oout the other forums. Couple guys I hunt with both shot 9pts one basket rack and one nice solid rack 18-20" spread. I actually gave up both stand locations figuring they would not produce! Outside those 2 really no other action.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CBTarheel23

thanks for the info I usually just read the Bowhunting section but will check oout the other forums. Couple guys I hunt with both shot 9pts one basket rack and one nice solid rack 18-20" spread. I actually gave up both stand locations figuring they would not produce! Outside those 2 really no other action.
never think you know where there going to be, i dident see anything all weekend and was going to move my stand, but my atv broke so i was to lazy to walk, and i went to the stand and saw alot of deer... there really unpredicatable
Old 10-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt mostly in 7F and some in 6K and 7A. On opeing day I took a doe and saw a buck dogging a doe grunting. Very early and unusual for my area. I have seen that buck 3 out of my 4 times out. He cam in 15 yards one day but never gave me a broadside shot before busting me but not being entirly spooked. I will keep after him.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am in the southern tier ( Horseheads area )This is my second year bow hunting and this year is definitely slower than last year. I have only seen a few and its only been in the evening around 5:45 to 6:15. Nothing in the morning at all. I did see one buckout of range and I hit the grunt and got no reaction. I hope it changes soon. I got spoiled last year, I saw bucks every time I went out and didn't have to sit very long to see them. At this point this year I have seen more bucks in my back yard in one daybefore season than I have seen so far in the woodsthis season.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:51 PM

I'm in Steuben County and I have seen more deer last weekend than I did all of bow season last year. So fay I'd say its been good even though I haven't had a shot yet. Mu hubby got a 7 point Sat morn!

Quick Reply: NY Deerhunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.