Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I want to cry

Old 10-18-2006, 07:13 PM

Default I want to cry

well in referance to my prior post "my next move" I asked for advice on my new spot. Well today i got off work at 430 and i seen the cold front coming in. For some reason I was like im going to the woods. I have to check in before going to my hunting area so by the time i snuck in it was prolly bout 515.

Yesturday i was at the target range i noticed that my 10 yrd shot hit the same as 20 so i made that 1 pin because the two where to close together and i had an extra pin to shoot from 60 with. Which i can group. In the military you shoot at 300 m targets to zero so if u can hit that u can hit anything else. So im using the same priciple in archery. Not that id shoot at a deer from 60 it just make 10 20 yard shot look like the moon. LOL keep this in mind.

So im in the woods its drizzling a lil getting nice and cool. Real windy and Im in my ACUs too after coming from work I sprayed scent killer but my scent was still going down wind.

Anyways Im calling using grunts doe contact and doe grunts with my true talker. I had three does and a button come to me last weekend using them. I moved my spot cause they busted me. So im about 100 yrds from a rub. On my way in from a diff direction i saw 2 scraps on the ground. Any was it must have been like 630 almost 700 gettin dark out hard to see.

I let out a grunt and got an awnser right back. Thought i was hearing things. This is my first year hunting im still learning. Nothing came tome right away but I read some where that deer will go downwind to check what called them. So I let out some more calls when bam. A nice basket 8 point came charging in. I froze and he stood and stared at me. Then he starts walking to my right about 35 yards out.

I purposely put the tree to the back of my stand so that the tree gives me cover from where i think the deer will come from. It worked perfectly. So as he walks behind the tree i grab my bow and draw back. turning around the other side of the tree to catch a shot at him.

He turns around and starts going back from where he came from. He stops. Perfect broadside shot u dream of. I take aim confident that im gonna score my first deer ever an 8 point at that. Calm down Breath release. He dont even know its coming SMACK!!!!!! I got him hes gonna go down. Must of broke ribs or sumthing he runs to my left goes down in the prone the gets back up and runs. I wait a few minutes to get down to check the impact area.

Im looking for blood good thing i brought my flashlight. Where the arrow? does it got blood is it still in him oh there it is........ in the base of a tree.

In all the excitement i forgot one thing. It took me a while to realize why i had missed. I was aiming at him between my 30 and 40 pins. Problem was i Was realy aiming at him with my 40 and 50 pins. I missed plain and simple because i forgot i changed my sights. That by the way are dead on now.

Did he see me after the shot is that why he got in the prone? I dont know will he come back is he the only buck there? Theres scrapes and rubs in the area. Should i once again move my stand? Into a diff location in the same area? Im planning on going back on sunday Im thinking ill use it there at least once more because ill be there early morning befor light. What Should i do hunt one of the fresh new scrapes any advice please.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:47 PM

Default RE: I want to cry

How come no one ever awsers my damn post!!!! Are they too long winded cause if i were to say i shot missed will he come back ud be like i need more information.

or is it that people are to damn lazy to read the whole post?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:02 PM

cool story
Old 10-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

No expert here, but you will never know if you are not there. Just keep hunting it and see how it turns out. If he comes back pop him, if not make adjustments.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, they are to long.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: LostInTheWoods

How come no one ever awsers my damn post!!!! Are they too long winded cause if i were to say i shot missed will he come back ud be like i need more information.

or is it that people are to damn lazy to read the whole post?
You need to calm down. What the h3ll? Did you ever stop to think maybe people are busy and don't have the chance to respond to the post right away? People aren't even gonna read your posts if you keep throwin tantrums.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Too long and I'm pretty sleepy right now. Maybe in the morning.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

How come no one ever awsers my damn post!!!!
Easy there Tiger!! It had only been about 30 minutes between your twoposts. Somebody will get to you!!

If you give the spot a couple of days to recover, I don't see any reason why you can't get back in there and expect some more deer activity. Hunting downwind of a fresh scrape is never a bad idea either. We just don't usually know when the deer are hitting the scrape...could be 2:00 am. If you have a trail camera, set it near the scrape and see when they are coming through.

Most importantly, be patient, both with us responding and with your hunting efforts!
Old 10-18-2006, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes once i see how long it is i dont read it
Old 10-19-2006, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was a good story and well written. You are asking questions that no one can answer. Will the deer come back? Maybe. Maybe not.

You won't know if you don't hunt there though.

Good Luck

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.