Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My sons first bow hunt, sort of >

My sons first bow hunt, sort of

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My sons first bow hunt, sort of

Old 10-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default My sons first bow hunt, sort of

I took my 7 year old boy with me while I bowhunted.He didn't hunt but he sat in the stand the whole time with me for 2 1/2 hours until dark only tapping his foot once. It really surprised me that he sat that long in the double standover looking the field. I didn't get to shoot but we saw deer at about 150 yards grazing in a field. Every 1/2 hour he would ask "when are they coming by" I had to tell him given the choice they would be fine at keepingthere distanceand that is what hunting is about.Around dusk a hawk grabbed a mouse in the field and I told him we were also like the hawk trying to get our mouse. After a while of looking at the does in the field he turned to me and said why didn't you put your camoflage tent (he meant blind)thing closer to the field so we wouldcould get a shotI told him I didnt know the deer would be in the field. Once we got home he told my wifeit was my fault wedidn't bring a deer home because I forgot to setup the blindin the field! I almost died laughing. He was so exited myMonday he begged my to let him bring a set of antlers into school for showans tell. I think I may have a new huntinpartner for life!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: My sons first bow hunt, sort of

Its all daddy's fault!!! Lol. j/k. Im glad u took the little one out and he had a good time. Hope u share many more great memories out in the field.

Hunt hard but remembersafety comes first. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:13 PM

I was the same way with my dad. He always tells people of one time when I was 5 he took me hunting we sat down on a blow down and were watching a skidder trail. He said a little spike came walking down the trail. (I was whittling a stick) as soon as I saw it. I started elbowing him and saying Shoot it Dad Shoot it Dad....Shoot Shoot! He was getting elbowed so much that he couldnt even get it in the scope. Hahaha. What memories I have of hunting with my dad will never be lost. I will always remember them.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:32 PM

Congrats on you new huntin' buddy...
Im willing to bet he'll never forget that first hunt, I know I still remember mine like it was yesterday...
Old 10-19-2006, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I remeber the first time I got to go hunting with my dad, it was awsome. I remeber asking him what the rut was and he was trying to explain it to me and I just blurted out that the buck was horny and I remeber my dad laughing so hard. But the best part of it all was he shot a very nice 8 point and we got to spend some great time together, which we still do to this day. All I have to say is I'm looking forward to having my own son or daughter to do stuff like that with.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

That is what its all about, Some of my greatest moments in the woods were spent with my daughter. those kids just magnify the whole experience. I only hope when I am old and cant get around as well, that she includes me in her hunting. Sounds like the little guy is definitley gonna be hooked, that is, if hes not already. (taking horns to school is the sign).