Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fat and hair only on my arrow!! >

Fat and hair only on my arrow!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fat and hair only on my arrow!!

Old 10-18-2006, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fat and hair only on my arrow!!

HI all, I just shot a really large buck last night and I can find no blood and only have fat, hair and a little flesh on my arrow. I have had this happen before and I never found the deer. I didn't see exactly where I hit it. It sure sounded like a solid hit to the chest. This deer is somewhere between 250-300lbs very long and very fat. I am wondering maybe with a deer this size there is a chance maybe that I actually got a decent hit on it and my arrow had to come out through so much fat, that it wiped all blood off arrow.(wishful thinking maybe) I am looking for any insight from people on possiblywhere I might have hit it,and If this large of deer could have so much fat that it would wipe off all blood. The deer sure acted like it was hit well. it ran at mach 12 into the thickest brush I know of in the US. I have found no blood whatsoever. Any input, thanks
Old 10-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fat and hair only on my arrow!!

It is impossible to say where you hit it, but I really doubt that a vital hit could have all the blood wiped clean. Because you found "fat, hair, and flesh" it really sounds like a "flesh wound." However, I would give him several hours and then search for him like crazy. Follow all trails leading in and out of the thick stuff. If there is water, go up and down both sides of it.
However, the way a broadhead cuts, I don't think it was a fatal shot if there was no blood.
Good luck, and if he is down I hope you find him.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

The only thing I can think of doing is go where you think you hit him (or saw him run to) and start doing concentric circles fanning out until you find a blood trail. If it is a solid hit, he'll have to start spouting blood sooner or later.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:40 PM

Sounds like just a flesh wound to me...seen this before.
And I HIGHLY doubt the deer was 250-300.
How many years have you been hunting?
If this has happened before, you need to work on your shooting!
Old 10-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

I have been hunting for 15 years and have killed many very large deer. 2 years ago I shot one that weighed 280 out of the same patch of woods. This deer is atleast 6.5 years old, he really is that big.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:49 PM

I shot a doe last week and my arrow matched your description. I waited on the deer and tracked her forever, even came back the next morning, not once did I find a spot of blood. Never found the deer.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:51 PM

Dont doubt deer getting into the range of 250-300 lbs. What about up north. They get very large deer. Now down here in the south no way man. I can tell you that....... unless its got a glandular problem. Anyway sounds like a flesh hit. However! I have heard that the fat on a deer could clog the entry and exit holes. I dont know how credible that is, but thats what I heard. How did the deer run off? Tail up, tail down, Head up, head down? Did it kick like a mule? Need more info. I will say that if there was a substantial amount of hair then you probably just caused a superficial wound. But none the less I'd look like crazy for that deer.
Nontypical Buck

What broadhead are you shooting? Did the arrow go high or low? I would say that more than likely you shot high and just barely went in at the backbone. I see know way that with a good hit, know matter how big the deer is, that it would wipe the arrow clean. Also with a good hit you't find blood.
Typical Buck

As you stated, "wishful thinking maybe," I'd have to agree based on your description of the findings. Most fat on even the largest and fattest deer tends to collect on the undersides of a deer, not along the rib cage!! Every deer I've ever cleaned had the highest concentrations of fat around the underside (not the sides) of the belly, from just behind the rib cage on back to between the rear legs!

Was the hair all one color or a combination?

I am going to edit my post and not be so critical.
It is a flesh wound, most likely.

Quick Reply: Fat and hair only on my arrow!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.