Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Fat and hair only on my arrow!! >

Fat and hair only on my arrow!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fat and hair only on my arrow!!

Old 10-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Fat and hair only on my arrow!!

ORIGINAL: bucketmouthhauler

I really hope I can post you a photo of this deer, anyone have a link to how to post photos on this site?

Go to www.photobucket.com and create and account. Its free!

Download your pics there. Then you can copy the info in the IMG box. Paste that to your reply and then change The capital IMG to small img. You'll understand when you try it!
Old 10-18-2006, 01:20 PM

i had a similar hit on buck that i shot last year. Ranged a tree off in meters instead of feet....instead of 34meter it was like 38 yards...arrow hit the white under his belly without cutting the stomach open....had fat from tip to vanes and white hair only. Gave him 6 hours and then searched for 5 hours zig zagging the area that he ran and never found a drop of blood....never found the deer either...
Old 10-18-2006, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes,from what was described,I also think that it was probably a low hit especially if the deer was broadside. You should have had at least some blood if the arrow hit any kind of muscle. It it was a low hit as I think, with the arrow only passing through fat and hide, it was proably non-fatal.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

You made a low shot and glanced the arrow off his underbelly. That is the only way you will get a lot of fat on an arrow and no blood. This seems to be turning into an epidemic lately and I have a hunch why. Guys are getting nervous and not coming to full drawand shooting short of their target. Big bucks, by the way, tend to flee danger with their tails down. You scared the crap out of him and little else.
I have never heard of a deer with a passthru vitals wound, not bleeding one drip. If you gutshot him, your arrow would smell like sewage, and be coated in green goo and plant fibers, AND blood.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

Old 10-18-2006, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

I will yet you guys know what i find i am going back out to look more
Old 10-18-2006, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

That happened to me once when I hit one low beneath the kill zone. The arrow strikes the lower hide and some of the fat underneath.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Spike

Definitely a flesh wound. That deer is still very much alive.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

This is what may have happend. The hair on your arrow is pretty dark like a hight hit. If it were a low hit or belly hit the hair would be white or very light in color. But it's not.

I have seen deer that have been hit between the the backbone and the lungs. Believe it or not there is a void area there and an arrow and make a complete pass through with alot of fat and no blood. If you skin out a deer this time of year the main parts of fat start to creat right down both sides of the back bone and down a little ways and it can be thick.

The exacple that Im giving you for my experience: the guy got a photo of the buck on one of his cams in the woods two weeks later and the buck looked fine with a complete pass through. Hard to believe but it was true and he had the photos to prove it with the wound visible. These deer are tougher than hell.

Give the deer 1-10 hours don't go push hims some more. Your only chance is to let him laydown and become sick and stiff and hopfully you stumble on him in the am. Is hard but wait!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

it sounds like a low chest or brisket shot, that could explain the fat and minamal blood

Quick Reply: Fat and hair only on my arrow!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.