Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 November Full Moon >

November Full Moon

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

November Full Moon

Old 10-17-2006, 08:04 PM

Default November Full Moon

I noticed the full moon for Nov. is going to be on the 5th this year. This seems earlier this year. I have planned a trip to Pike Co IL starting on the 10th- 16th and thought it would be the week preceding the full moon however just realized it would be preceding the new moon. Will the full moon on the 5th bring does to estrus or will it happen towards the middle of Nov. like usual??????
Old 10-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: November Full Moon

Do you really believe the moon makes does go into estrus? If so, why wouldn't the other eleven full moons have a reaction? Just courious.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

The moons phase should have nothing to do with the rut time period other than they will do more chasing at night than day. I hate when that happens. I remember this a few years ago, full moon over into the second week of Nov and I stayed in the stand long after dark, full moon lit everything up, I was in a stand overlooking a cut corn field and I heard every deer in the woods come into the field, running, chasing grunting, fighting...I wanted to run out and scream at them....lol

This year, I'm off the week of Halloween and the next week, I'm dreading the full moon, I'm hoping for crisp days.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

Personally, I will take the pre-rut seeking/chasing phase over the full blown rut anyday! When those big boys are holed up with hot doe, it can get pretty slow out in the woods. I think you made a great choice in the days you picked. Although I would pick Nov 1st-20th next time if I were you. lol And had a boat load of vacation time. Your bound to hit it just right within 20 days of hunting.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:11 PM

Charles Alsheimer has written that the peak of the rut begins on the second full moon after the autumnal equinox (please don't make me say that again...[8D])

I always thought it was a light thing...some gland of theirs reads how much daylight there is and that dictates their estrous....BUT..if that's the case, wouldn't the rut be more predictable and the same time every year?
Old 10-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Charles Alsheimer has written that the peak of the rut begins on the second full moon after the autumnal equinox (please don't make me say that again...[8D])

I always thought it was a light thing...some gland of theirs reads how much daylight there is and that dictates their estrous....BUT..if that's the case, wouldn't the rut be more predictable and the same time every year?
It pretty much is, peak rut is always pretty damn close to the 15th of Nov, give or take...that's pretty exact. Isn't it?
Old 10-17-2006, 08:17 PM

I agree with Rob

I am a photperiodism man myself............

The timing of the peak rut (the4 to5 days that 80% of the does are breed) is very predictable IMO.

Just because you ain't seeing it...........doesn't mean its not happening

That full moon just seems to kill morning and evening activity.............time to go in at 9 and stay till 3
Old 10-17-2006, 08:18 PM

OK....then why is it different north and south? I mean, the amount of daylight is the same, so why do does in say.....Texas, come into estrous in December? I just don't get any of this.....[&:]
Old 10-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Dominant Buck

You'll be fine. I'm going to Ohio for a week starting the 7th. Moon just mean I better be spending some midday time in the tree.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:27 PM

The closer to the equator the longer the days......so its not the same......

The timing of the rut has everything to do with the fawn drop.......

Up north it better be timed right..

Close to the equator the rut is all year and some bucks are velvet some bucks are hard horn....its a mess...........because it really doesn't matter when the fawns drop and the amount of light is very constant

Quick Reply: November Full Moon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.