Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First Bow Kill!!!!! >

First Bow Kill!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Bow Kill!!!!!

Old 10-17-2006, 08:45 AM

Default First Bow Kill!!!!!

I finally got the opportunity to draw on a deer and made the most of it!!! It is a spike to the rest of the world but a P&Y class animal to me!! This is my second season bow hunting and this past Sunday (10/15) was my 4th trip this year. On Saturday, I saw 3 bucks, one of which wasthe biggest live deer I have ever seen, at 31 yds, with no shooting lane. He took the trail away from my stand as opposed to turning my way. I guess that is why he is as big as he is!! I was shaking so badly, I probably couldn't have hit him from 10 yds. Anyway, after seeing that, Sunday was one of those 'I have to be out there days'. A cold front had just moved through so the morning temp was 32 degrees, very cold formid October in KY. I couldn't sleep the night before, reminiscent of Christmas Eve as a kid, so I got to my stand with plenty of time to have a conversation with the Lord (I know, I was skipping church to hunt a monster buck). Sun up came and went. I was getting antsy in my stand and had to pee really bad. Of course, I learned a lesson about peeing from my duck hunting experiences. Every time you get out of the blind to pee, ducks come into the decoys. So, I was reluctant to pee out of the stand, fearing the big boy would come by and I would literally be caught with my thing in my hand. As I turned to check the soy bean field to the north, I spotted a young 6 pointer coming down the trail right to my stand. My excitement was almost uncontrollable. Then, I saw another deer 20 yds behind the 6. I couldn't see antlers, so I assumed it was a doe.I decided I would shoot the doe and let the 6 walk. By the time whatI thougt was a doe got within range, the 6 pointer was less than 10 yds from my stand. I went ahead and let my arrow fly. I didn't make a great shot, hit a little high. However, the Rage 2 blade did a whole lot of damage and the deer dropped just 45 yds from where I shot it. Needless to say, I almost forgot I was in a tree stand as I prepared to jump up and down!! Fortunately, I regained some composure and was able to safely climb down. I was a little disappointed when I realized I had shot a spike (just because I didn't do a good enough job of identifying what I was shooting). However, the thrill of making my first kill with a bow is like nothing I have ever experienced!! I grilled the tenderloins last night. Nothing has ever tasted better!! Unfortunately for me, KY has a 1 buck rule. Therefore, I have to pray that the big boy I saw on Saturday survives one more year!!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:49 AM

Default RE: First Bow Kill!!!!!

Congratulations. I remember the first deer I killed with my bow. A spike! I'll never forget it.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:53 AM

Man your gonna here somemany times on this one you should have waited for the big one.
Me i think i would have to pass on the spike and go for a doe and save that tag. Especailly if you just seen the monster, it would be differnt if you havent seen it. If i didnt see it and this was my first with a bow i also would have shot the spike. BUT if saw the monster i would be hunting HIM plus does.

But still congrats on the first!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:57 AM
Fork Horn

Congratulations to you on your first kill. Sounds like a memorable hunt. Good luck in the future.
DW
Old 10-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

congrats on shooting the spike...I had a chance to shoot one but I passed....I actually regret the decision now but hopefully it will pay off in the end...
Old 10-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats,that's great! There is nothing like it.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the deer. If you didn't see the spikes you didn't see em'. No big deal. Just the point of being out there and getting a deer is better than a rack.
Brandon
Old 10-17-2006, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations! That's awesome!!!!
Old 10-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!! I will never forget my fist bow kill. best thing ever.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the club, congrats on your first!!

Quick Reply: First Bow Kill!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.