Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Coyote's ate good >

Coyote's ate good

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Coyote's ate good

Old 10-17-2006, 06:26 AM

Default Coyote's ate good

I'm still pissed about this, so bear with me.

Had permision to hunt on land a timber with many well traveled trails.I set up next to bean field close to fence facingopposing land,fence seperated. Saw a big doe with 3 little ones 40 yds acrose in the bean field. Decieded to take the shot over fence. Hit her hard (lung shot) it was getting dark so,I was not sure at the time.

Called buddy on cell to get help looking for blood/arrow. By this time it was dark so our lights where apparent. 20 mins in to search,Two jacka$$'s show up and threated calling the DNR? Saying the owner of the bean field told them to call if they saw anyone on her land. Which IL. law requires you to ask permision to track deer. Mind you these are NOT the land owners.

Well I just happened to have the owner of the timber nextto it with me, which I hunting on.When they learned that, there attitude changed and said I could look for mydeer. But they never left us aloneand followed me and my friendswhere ever I went and mybuddy's asking stupidquestion's. It really sucks when someone is doing that, very hard to track an animal.So I felt presured and left after only 25 min search time. (Normally I give 5 to7 hrs looking).Thinking and telling my buddy we'll just come back first light next day.To get away from these jokers.It was evident they did not know what they where doing.

Next morning we find blood and track her 100 yds away to some tall grass (perfect lung shot). Coyote's tore the hell out of her, missing hind 1/4's no rear legs,ribs picked clean everything from shoulder back was gone. Biggest mature doe I've ever seen.

I know I shouldn't have shotover a fence. But in Illinios there's a certain understanding that if a certainoppertunity becomes available you take it(least where I live). I can tell you this thou, if these morons hit something this year (slim chance!), And it crosses over in our timber, it will be our deer. Owner has alreadysaid they screwed us, they'll get there's!It's justa shame that sucha beautiful animal had to go for coyote food. Never seen a Doe with that brown taupe like bucks have.

I'll try and post a clean pic of her. I'm just sick about the whole thing! Need some help getting over this can't stop thinking about it!!!!

Old 10-17-2006, 06:49 AM

Default RE: Coyote's ate good

I can tell you this thou, if these morons hit something this year (slim chance!), And it crosses over in our timber, it will be our deer.
treat others likecrap too ........ a VERY good way to fix the situation ya'll have [X(]

Old 10-17-2006, 06:55 AM
Fork Horn

Around here, thats called poaching. Even if you know the neighbor. I know its hard not to do it, but next time if you do, I wouldnt be so proud admitting it publicly.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

You shot over the fence. I'm not sure what "understanding" you have in your area but injust aboutany area that is trespassing, unless you have permission from the other landowner which it doesn't sound like you did. You stated that you are still required to get the landowners permission to track deer which you did not do. Even if you had the other landowner with you, the land on the other side of the fence is not his either and you should both should have tried to get permission to track the deer. I'm not sure why you are mad at the other two guysbecause they called you on what you were doing. It is a shame the deer got wasted, but you shouldquit blaming the wrong people. You took the shot over the fence onto another landowners property, you did not seek the landowners permission to track or contact a game warden for assistance, and you left the trail of the deer. Not trying to be too harsh but it comes down to personalresponsibility, hold yourself responsible and make better decisions next time.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well evidently we are from 2 totally different parts of Illinois. I have never known it as a given that you can trespass on the neighbors property just because you want to. I would say your first mistake is setting up your stand to hunt the other property. Second mistake is shooting at an animal not on your property. Third is you trespassed without calling the land owner. It takes one call, one call to make it legal to go and get your deer. And typically, that one call will make it fine for you to go and get your deer this year and maybe for however long you hunt there. I guess you were lucky that wasn't my hunting area you were stomping around. If my neighbors couldn't get ahold of the landowners, they atleast know they could get ahold of me and I would go in with them. They just don't assume that it will be ok to trespass.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't look back at his other posts on here, but post #7 he is talking freely about poaching a deer, and then tresspasssing on someones land to retrieve it.

Buddy, you have a real good start here! [:-]
Old 10-17-2006, 07:31 AM

Aside from the tresspasing and the poaching. (In Tennessee no one asks any kind of permission for anything) How could you tell you had a perfect double lung shot when everything from the shoulder and back was gone. Scavengers relish the entrails not so much the skin and meat but the guts. Watch the discovery channel.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:34 AM
Dominant Buck

This bit about having an unwritten law about, "if the chance presents it's self..blah blah blah" is jut that... blah blah blah. You set up there with every intention of taking such a shot and put yourself in position for such a shot. It's called poaching everywhere I know of. As far as the "Idiots" tagging along, they didn't run you off. They said go ahead. You gave up on the deer with evidently very little effort. Since you had permission to go ahead ..... you should have gone ahead. Now sure, you can be a jerk if a deer they shoot comes on your land, but that's only going to make for a bad neighbor situation. But as I understand it, you don't own the land either. You're telling us you're going to play landlord wannabee and run them off like they did you, but they recanted and said go ahead. You were wrong. THey may have overstepped their authority, but they did consent to a search. You can't blame them for your failure to find the deer. You want to get over it. Realize your flaws and errors is the first step. Quitting the search because it's hard to track with when someones asking you questions? Give me a break. You had a confrontation, they said go ahead and you quit. Put the blame where it lies. It may be a certain way where you're from but where I'm from, poaching is poaching and we all usually hope they get arrested. Grow up would be my best advice.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:40 AM

ORIGINAL: okietreedude

Around here, thats called poaching. Even if you know the neighbor. I know its hard not to do it, but next time if you do, I wouldnt be so proud admitting it publicly.
Poaching? Your nuts! No way was I taking an illegal animal. BTW I'm in the process of getting premission from the 60yr old women that owns it.

Getting the gamewarden to help track, not in this state lol.

I've hunted, lived out east belive me it's not the same here.

Everybody knows a bowhunter can only shoot 60yds tops. With the vast acresof farmland outhereknowbody cares if your here or there. These guys where just playing bada$$'s like they had some kind of power.Amature's trying to learn how to track, cause they never seen it before or just on some trip. They need to be carefull cause I'll reign a ****strom on them. Thanks for the support!!

Old 10-17-2006, 07:46 AM

Just because you don't see it as poaching does not mean that the law does not. A responsible hunter obeys the law. The owner of the land told them to call DNR, yet they still let you track because the neighbor was there. They were being good neighbors. You say you are in the process of getting permission to hunt the land. Generally, you get the permission before you hunt the land, not afterwards. You get no support here. Grow up and quite giving the rest of us a bad name.

Quick Reply: Coyote's ate good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.