Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethics question

Old 10-16-2006, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ethics question

This area is public land. I scouted a water hole just before the start of the season and saw alot of signs.Since the season started another guy has been hunting it pretty regular so I just left it alone. I happened to be by there the other day and scouted it again and noticed where the guy has been hunting with his climber and think that he has it all wrong. I know it is wrong for me to go there once he is all set up. Is it wrong for me to hunt it on days when he is not there? Or for me to hunt it and 'beat' him there as I don't know what days he plans to hunt it? Or should I just forget about it?

Here is a rough diagram of the area-

Blue spots are water holes
Red spots are where he has been using his climber
Green is wood lines
Black is deer trails
Yellow is where I would put my blind to hunt

My blind would be about 130 - 150 yards from his nearest stand tree.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ethics question

If you would be that far away from him I think it would be fine. Heck he probably won't even know you are there.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

Why not? It is public land and you are not using his spots or even going on the same days. I really don't see a problem.
Brandon
Old 10-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

Public land...all is fair. If you beat him to it so be it. No sense on missing out on a good opportunity to accomadate him when he may not even be hunting. Have at it
Old 10-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say go for it. If he's hunting it wrong, chances are he won't have much success and will give up on it anyway.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:55 PM

I dont think there would be anything wrong with you setting up your stand that far away from his two locations and if you beat him to the punch so be it, it is public land so he really cant say anything. At least it wouldnt bother me if i was the other hunter, good luck with your situation and lets hope you beat him to the punch.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's public land and you would be stting up plenty far enough away from him. I only wish most hunters were half as considerate as you are being with this guy. Go for it!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Unless you're dryer than dirt, you're both probably wasting your time hunting a water hole in Missouri. You've had rain and then some rain. Deer find it every where. You're fine hunting where you want. You're just as fine hunting where he does if he's not there. It's public land. BUt I think it's a waste of time usually. Unless it's dryer than dirt, waterhole hunting isn't the way to get a whitetail.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Unless you're dryer than dirt, you're both probably wasting your time hunting a water hole in Missouri. You've had rain and then some rain. Deer find it every where. You're fine hunting where you want. You're just as fine hunting where he does if he's not there. It's public land. BUt I think it's a waste of time usually. Unless it's dryer than dirt, waterhole hunting isn't the way to get a whitetail.
This I have heard before, but the trails leading to and from them are worn down to bare dirt. This is enough to make me consider it worth while to sit a morning/evening or two.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

Hunt it up

Quick Reply: Ethics question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.