Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting from a treestand >

Shooting from a treestand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting from a treestand

Old 10-16-2006, 03:02 PM

Default Shooting from a treestand

Ok I'm really confused right now. I've been talking to a few of my hunting buddies and we were talking about treestand shots. Well about half of them said u should shoot high so the arrow penetrates down into the vitals. This is what i thought. Then the other half said you shoot low in case of string jump and something about trajectory. I never caught that last part i just remember something being said about the trajectory being different. Anyway could someone clear this up for me?
Old 10-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shooting from a treestand

I have always heard that you will shoot high. But that is why I always aim for the middle of the deer's back so if I miss judge my distance I have room to miss high or low.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

i aim a little bit higher as opposed to shooting on the ground, just in case the deer jumps the shot(where they actually duck ) you still get a pass through
Old 10-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Shooting from a tree stand

Just remember one thing.... AIM FOR THE EXIT HOLE... Think where you want your arrow to exit, and imagine a straight lineto the entrace. (Aim there )All tree stands are not the same height so your trajectory is going to be different from others.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:12 PM

Aim for the exit hole.

And always bend at the waist.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:13 PM

I think that you probably need to not aim high and aim for a midsection shot. And remember that if you dont have a range finder and step off yardages from your tree they will be wrong when you go to shoot from your elevated position they will lengthen themselves at least 3 yards. Its a simple rule of trigonometry.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Actually if you are, say 18 feet high in a treestand and range from the stand to the ground say 20 yds. or 60 feet, the actual ground distance to that spot is 19 yds. With todays bow speeds you shouldn't have to worry to much about the difference in yardage at most bow ranges.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

like Washington said aim for the exit hole. by the way is that a broad head on the end of that fully drawn arrow Washington ? you may have a tough time explaining the hole in the floor if you slip .Just a thought
Old 10-16-2006, 05:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Rhody Hunter

like Washington said aim for the exit hole. by the way is that a broad head on the end of that fully drawn arrow Washington ? you may have a tough time explaining the hole in the floor if you slip .Just a thought
Muzzy with practice blades. Better to patch a hole in the floor than have my limbs crack right before hunting season.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

i was always taught to aim low. this has been fail proof for me and everyone else i know that bow hunts, noone i know aims high at all. a deers usuall first reaction is to duck.

Quick Reply: Shooting from a treestand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.