Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Well, I blew it!!! >

Well, I blew it!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Well, I blew it!!!

Old 10-17-2006, 05:03 AM

Default RE: Well, I blew it!!!

i had one hear me he didnt spook to bad he he even stopped to look around to see what it was but he never seen me i seen him at 20 yards thru a hole in the brush so i grabed my bow just encase he was a mature deer then he walked right in 10 yards from me so when he stepped behind a tree i stood up to get ready for a shot it was ded calm from the time i seen him till the time he came in was only 30 seconds dang climber stand has rails all the way around cant shoot sitting like in my hang ons but i did hear a lot more deer bedding and pushing each other around about 80 yards accross the creek i cant wait for the right wind to get back in there
Old 10-17-2006, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Oh I forgot to say, this won't be the last time you blow it either, just part of bowhunting I guess.

I once moved a ladder stand, and forgot to practice with my bow to make sure my shot lanes were ok.

You probably guessed it, but the first time I hunted it, a nice little 4 point went strolling by at 12 yards. I pulled back just when I was supposed to, he comes from behind a bush and bam! My right arm hits a tree and I am unable to turn to the right and let the arrow go! The buck looks up at me, and had a look like he was sticking his tongue out at me.

Oops! If I would have practiced immediately after moving the stand, I would have noticed, and slightly turned the stand...

-c_str
Old 10-17-2006, 06:34 AM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Man, you blew it. You got to stay alert and the bow should be in your hand or right beside it at all times.... especially when you're day dreaming. Your chances of seeing that bad boy from that stand again have definitely diminished, at lest in the short term... say more than a week. He saw you, he knew what your were while you fumbled for your bow. Keep it at hand. Get a bow hanger for your stands.
Yea I know I blew it Dav, hence the title of my post...My bow was right beside me on a screw in bow hanger. I have never liked holding my bow in my lap. To me there is more movement involved in that than there is by having it easily accessable on a hanger. Its just that he appeared like a ghost and was on top of me before I had alot of time to think. I am pretty locked in to hunting the same loc on stand. There are no real straight trees in the area for a climber. This little patch of woods is only say 60yds x 100yds. The rest is real thick stuff, I think thats why they feel comfortable moving through this area.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:47 AM

put a ladder stand up ....you can put on a small tree

or go higher. higher the better...when I get busted I find another tree or go 15 feet higher

I could not find my stand the other day too. luckily I marked on the GPS just in case of a dark night. brought me right to the tree. I too was 40 yards off

I blew it a couple times this year already. I have not been busted just waited to long for the perfect shot and never got it.

everyday in the woods hunting whitetails is a learning experience

however they always "appear" on me especially when it is thick....they are like a ghost
Old 10-17-2006, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

He'll probably avoid that stand. Scout the area and see which way he will most likely go to avoid that stand and set up the stand in a new location. My bet is he will go downwind of that stand. Check the prevailing winds in the area and set up about 50yds away or on what looks to be another travel corridor. This might be a good time to use a dummy decoy! Set up another stand leave that one where it is. Set up a dummy in the old stand and set up a new one nearby?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:57 AM

Learn from each failure and you will find they occur less often. Alot can go wrong from the time you see a deer close and getting an arrow in it. That deer didn't clear the county but he did get educated, those older bucks are wary. Here's one of my storys. About 10 years ago I had a nice one come up past the tree right at dark on the first evening I hunted the stand. I missed him, just plain blew it. No excuses. When I missed he ran about 40 yards into the hardwoodsand looked around confused. I figured he wasn't too spooked and would be back. The season had three more weeks and I never saw him until the last morning of the season. I had three does below me and then hear a deer above me and there he is 35-40 yards away. Perfect, I'm right between him and the does. He just stared at them and grunted but would not come past the tree to them. This went on for 5 minutes and he eventually walked away. He didn't wind me he just didn't like it. I'd give him a week off and change locations on him. He is still there....either that or go find another buck..good luck
Old 10-17-2006, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's just part of bowhunting. Sometimes they sneak-up on you. I didn't see the buck I ended up killing until he was literally 5 yards from me. Same situation, except I ended up getting an arrow in him.

Hang in there, and in the future be patient, and move when you can! Don't loose too much sleep over it. Just another classic example of learning from a mistake. That's the best way to learn my brother!