Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lost my first deer in over ten years. >

Lost my first deer in over ten years.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lost my first deer in over ten years.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Lost my first deer in over ten years.

Arrowed a nice doe this sat.. I was about 50 yards from the Brazos river when I hit her. I made a good shot, waited 30 min and went after her. It started raining right after I shot her, so the blood trail was gone. It was pretty obvious though, the direction she had gone, even with out the blood trail. I follow the path right to the river. She had ran to the river and pilled up in the river which washed her off. The Brazos is normally not running much, but since we had experienced some rain Fri. night the river was moving pretty quick.

Arrgggggg, nothing like shooting a deer and have it float down stream. We walkedfor miles down river and never came across her. The river was moving pretty quick, so there is no telling where she ended up.[:@]
Old 10-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Lost my first deer in over ten years.

She sunk first and after she bloatsupshe'll reappear on the surface somewhere. That sucks...you probably would have still lost her even if it wasn't raining.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:25 PM

wow that sucks.....at least you knew she wasn't wounded or died after suffering.....
Old 10-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Yea, it was a good shot. Heart and a double lunger. It was easy to see the arrow path. I heard her pile up about 10 yards from the shot, so I thought she was down for good. Once I saw where she had piled up, it was obvious she staggered to the river.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear that BGE, not that it makes it any better, but at least it wasn't something that you did (i.e poor shot). Where abouts on the Brazos do you hunt? I hunt on a friends ranch that is bordered by the Brazosnear Graham.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:58 PM

wow I've never had that happen I've always been wary about it though when hunting in river bottoms.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:04 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: dwd2001

Sorry to hear that BGE, not that it makes it any better, but at least it wasn't something that you did (i.e poor shot). Where abouts on the Brazos do you hunt? I hunt on a friends ranch that is bordered by the Brazosnear Graham.
My land is in Kent county near Jayton, so it would be the Salt fork. Where I shot this deer was on a freinds in Brock, so It might come floating passed you. Actually I believe im down stream from you.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:38 PM

I know what you are feeling...I lost my first deer ever this year. Tracked it for over 400 yards still couldn't finder just ran out of blood. Made a good shot also but i didnt get a complete pass through because she was quartering away i think i just have hit the leg bone.