Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer Hunting Awards >

Deer Hunting Awards

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Hunting Awards

Old 10-16-2006, 09:20 AM

Default Deer Hunting Awards

My buddy and I recently came across some old archery trophies (3 actually) that somebody was throwing away and we thought that it would be a lot of fun to salvage them and get new plates engraved and use them for annual awards that we would pass around from year to year among our small hunting group.

We plan on doing the obvious, having a big buck award and an award for the person who harvests the most deer but we don't know what to designate the third award for. I thought about maybe having an "Entertainer of the Year" award for the hunter who had the funniest or most embarrasing moment of the season. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions?
Old 10-16-2006, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Hunting Awards

Smallest deer of the year award. I won that one with my 2004 buck in Vermont. [8D]
Old 10-16-2006, 09:52 AM

I like the idea, sounds like fun! I have 2 myself!
Old 10-16-2006, 09:54 AM

Heaviest deer.

(If you weigh them.)

I like the idea of a "Most Memorable Moment" Award.

Could be something funny, a lesson learned the hard way, or just something someone did that none of you will forget.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:03 AM

"Most Memorable Moment" - I like that. I think it would be good to capture the fun part of hunting and not so much focus on just the production.

We don't have a scale, in fact we've never weighed a single deer in all the years we've hunted together. Itprobably would be interesting but I guess we just never really cared enough to buy a scale. I thought about a smallest deer award but without weighing every deer it might be hard to choose a winner unless somebody shoots an obvious runt.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:12 AM

I like the smallest deer award, you can purchase a scale at Cabelas for 20-30 bucks. I don't like the idea of who shoots the most- what if you can only eat so much meat? I can never shoot more than 2-3 deer in a year, no room for them.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:21 AM

We have a program in the state of Iowa where any hunter who shoots more deer than he/she wants can donate it to help feed the hungry. It's funded by an additional fee charged on every single deer tag sold and is statewide. We try to take as many does as we can not only to help keep the herd in check but to help those in need. I think we all see an award for most deer shot as a really good thing as it promotes helping others not as fortunate as us.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:45 AM

Sounds like a great program. Between my dad and 4 brothers we can get 30 tags, but can never eat all the meat. So by the time rifle season comes around we really can only shoot monster bucks because the freezer is overflowing.