Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When do you give up on the track? >

When do you give up on the track?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When do you give up on the track?

Old 10-16-2006, 08:28 AM

Default When do you give up on the track?

This questions stems from a small buck I lost last year (would have been first with bow). Long story short...didn't get a pass through, using muzzy 4 blades, 40yard shot that wasn't ideal. (I later spend several hours re-looking at deer anatomies online...one lung was done for, and the second shouldn've had an inch or two of arrow in it).

Anyways, he ran into a small patch of woods (small being about 20 acres..he would've had to cross an elevated highway otherwise). I waited an hour...then found only some cut hair and a few spots of blood about about 20 yards fromt the hit (still in a open field) and then two small spots were he jumped a ditch into the woods.

Looked for about an hour for the next sign and eventual resorted to 'combing' twenty acres the best I could. (another two hours of hiking around) a called it quits. Now granted, if I had worked three hours and still was still making slow progress on a trail you couldn't have torn me off it...it would've been my first buck with a bow.

At what point do you guys call it quits? Would you have rested awhile and then recombed? We want 'em bad, and we owe it to them if we take the shot...but when do you rack it up to "experience" and "better luck next time".
Old 10-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: When do you give up on the track?

when you exhausted all resources and KNOW you did all you could...looseing deer happens. but your right...we want em and we owe it to them to find them. when i know i did all i could and to the best of all possibilities ill feel a little better about giving up. never feel GOOD about it...but when you reach the point you know you did what you could you kinda just know...
Old 10-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

I hit a nice buck on Friday night, my post about it is on right now, and I still can't find it after 2.5 days of searching with friends and even my dog. I am going back later in the week to look for buzzards. I am pissed, but don't know what else to do. I gave up at dark on Sunday.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:55 AM

I would have looked more. Yes, I would have rested and then got back to it and looked again. I would also recruit some help and formeda search line right through that 20 acres. You may walked past and never seen it because you were trying to cover too much land on your own. I lost a nice buck last year and to this day it still bothers me what happened to that deer.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Being it was your first I can imagine all the rookie mistakes you probably made in searching... not watching the deer as he ran, like going to fast, expecting too much blood, etc etc. I sure would have looked along that highway really well too.Going up and going down he would have leaked. Not knowing where you hit and all it's hard to say, butI would expect the deer was down within a couple hundred yards. If you for sure toasted one lung and got penetration into the other I'd even expect maybe sooner. It's hard to say without being there. I do expect you gave up too soon. I agree you should have enlisted some help from someone that's been there and done that. I've found deer before by just sitting back and surveying the lay of the land and the vegetation and deciding where I'd go if I were a deer. I found a deer one time for a guy in Georgia. He was a member of a dog hunting club. The deer had come right out onto the pavement, made a U turn and the guy hit him with buckshot. For some reason their dogs couldn't pick him up again. About 10 guys in the dog gang left for the next run after a quick look around, but the guy stuck around to satisfy himself. About an hour later I found a speck of blood 100 yards from where he last saw the deer. Another half hour revealed nothing. I stood there talking to him and said, look over there, it's just a little thicker underbrush in the big pines there. It looks like it slopes off. I walked straight to the buck, dead as a doornail laying at the bottom of a wash out in the red Georgia clay. The place just looked right to me. The guy had no knife so I gutted the deer for him and helped him drag it the 400 yards back to the road. About the time we got to the road the rest of the gang came looking for him. They were shocked we'd found it. He said "We" didn't, this damn Yankee birddog did. The guy offered me everything but $ez with his daughter. I was proud of him for sticking it out when all his friends said give it up. I just decided to keep him company and see if I could help. He was so positive he'd hit the deer good. The buckshot just didn't leak a lot of blood. The deer had 2 pellets in his chest cavity and one in his neck.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

When I'm standing over a dead critter.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:52 AM

It all depends on the situation, but you'll know when you're done.

After you know that you've done everything you can to try and recover your animal.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree with davemill.

The doe I shot was not a stellar shot, she turn into the arrow as I fired, I told myself not to shoot, but I did. I watch where the arrow hit(liver, I was right). As she took off threw the corn I watch the corn. The corn stop moving about 60 yds from my stand. I marked the spot, sat in my stand for two hours, climbed down went in changed clothes and statred the search. Took me about 5 mins to find blood where I last saw her, another 5 to find her.

If I did not watcher her, and know where I hit her, it would have been a tough track.

There where three spots of blood from where I shot here, and where I last saw her and picked up the trail. I know this because I had to go find my arrow, I did not want the farmer to run over it with his combine. It fell out about 30 yds from my stand.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:27 AM

Davidmil- he said he got one lung and the other was probably hit. You don't have to point out that he made "the rookie mistakes," he already knows that. But I do agree on the looking along the highway. Sometimes those higher lung shots do not bleed much at all, so it makes for a tough find.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Dominant Buck

You look until you can't look anymore. What I will add it that your deer never went to waste. All the other creatures had one heck of a meal.

Quick Reply: When do you give up on the track?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.