Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hate when this happens >

Hate when this happens

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hate when this happens

Old 10-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hate when this happens

Yea, I got a little chuckle out of it too. You should consider lowering the poundage on your bow. (excuse me if this has already been mentioned). I had the same situation happen last year. I twisted my buss cable to smitherenes trying to get max poundage (83)and low and behold he came in on 12/29 at dark cold as can be I was virtually frostbitten. I am pretty sure I heard that buck call me a moron.[&o]
Old 10-15-2006, 02:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lower the poundage. I had to do that last year after I discovered I couldn't reach full draw one cold day last fall. I had undergone major shoulder surgery during the summer and had been able to draw and shoot during warmer weather, but couldn't do so in the cold. Fortunately nothing I wanted to kill came in! I went home, lowered the poundage and retuned/resighted so the problem wouldn't recur.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Happened to me last year and it wasn't cold just an unuseual position to have to draw from and I couldn't get it back. After a while I tried again and presto it came right to full draw.When I got back to the truck I lowered my poundage by 5# and have kept it there. I'm now shooting 60# and still fling an arrow at 273 fps.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:42 AM

It may be easier to pull your bow back while standing rather than sitting.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've never not been able to draw my bow, yes I've had to really pull in extreme cold weather but it always came back, had I couldn't it would definately be time for less poundage as many have said. One might be able to pull it while practicing etc but one should be able to pull it under all conditions or it's too heavy. I could pull more than I shoot but I know better.

Rickmur gives a great example as well as someone who asked when the last time you shot. We should be shooting throughout the season to not only double check your bow (we beat them to and from and in and and of the stand) but to keep your body conditioned.

Tough lessen learned.