Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

help fast

Old 10-13-2006, 11:54 AM

Default help fast

Hey, well I need some help because im going to hunt this evening. The weather has just dropped cold a couple of days ago and it is very windy out. Any ideas on where to go or if its worth going out hunting

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: help fast

Outside, to the woods man

Old 10-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Dominant Buck

If you could be a little more vague......these people here can REALLY help you.

What are you hunting???

lol

Jeff

I'm kidding....but be more specific!....
Old 10-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where are you?
Any time spent hunting is worth it. Do you have any chance of scoring? Maybe. Deep valley creekbottoms that run against the prevailing wind direction can be good. Sometimes there is no wind there at all, and the deer will go there. Find the backside of hills that face away from the prevailing winds. Deer will congregate there too due to calm winds there.
It's all a crap shoot really, just try to play the conditions to your advantage. Take a climber and set up in a promising area. Give it a shot.
In my experience, deer tend to bed in the calmer areas during high winds, and don't move a whole lot. Wind dulls their senses. Tree's moving, scent diluted, lots of noise. Deer don't like that, so they stay bedded.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt the FOOD, the deer will be hammering the FOOD
Old 10-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tell ya what its been like that in Wi for the last 4 days and I tell you its been some pretty good hunting. Lastnight even with the wind gusts up to 30mph the deer were moving. they need to eat to stay warm, so hunt your food sources. I have a friend that went out the day before yesterday when it was the same way and he said he saw more bucks in one nite than he has all season. Get out there, put your back to the wind it helps.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

im gunna get off my butt and head BACK out in the same conditions. im going to do some still hunting till 3-4pm..i know the trails like the back of my hand..when i used to walk them without a gun or bow i could killed many...maybe ill get luck. one area been good to me for that..a deep valley agains the wind like livbucks said..i was heading there already..now ill definently head there...unless theres trucks at the parking lot..then ill just head to my orchard where im taking the evening stand. i should see deer there no matter what with any luck..they gota eat...their brain is smaller then their stomach. and they feel safe in that orchard. no predators around except...ME..only hunted that once 2 weeks ago..they dont have any idea what lerks. i was shocked to see them come out into there at 815 on a bright sunny calm day...that just shows they feel safe in there..noonce botheres them there. a muzzys gunna bite something hopefully!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 12:26 PM

Depends on where you are at. I've tried hunting in the wind (just this morning actually) and I have NEVER seen a deer out there with winds over 20. We are pretty much in the flatlands though, not much roll to our hills, lol, so they really don't have much shelter from it.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

I would say use the stand on the north side of the woods in the corner by the creek and the food plot but I doubt you would be able to find it.

Try finding some nice thick stuff.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here a lot of times it's windy when you get out there and the wind starts to lay about an hour before sunset and is nearly calm at that special time. I'd get out there unless you have plenty of days to hunt and have other important stuff to do.