Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 this years close calls! >

this years close calls!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

this years close calls!

Old 10-13-2006, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default this years close calls!

thought it would be fun to share and raze each other about close calls we have had hunting this year, and came home empty handed. I got 2 so I'll start,

Wed. nite had a cold front coming in, very windy and out of the NW. So I took extra precaution before going out, showered sprayed both inside and outer layers the works, I was hunting an old logging road along a pasture fence line, 25yards in the timber,had 4 come in downwind, 2 yearlings directly below me, a nice doe 15 feet away, and a buck behind her, I was waiting on the buck to clear a tree when I heard a load crack, and turned to see a bunch of cattle moving down the fence row, looked back, and they all took off, back into the woods, OH well.

Next morning had 2 does come in at 5 yards, was a little rushed but managed to get a pin on the 2nd one, and released, missed, right over her back, dang, didn't allow for the close shot and aim lower, blew that one!

now it's your turn, lets hear them, I could use a few laughs after that one!
Old 10-13-2006, 06:38 AM

Default RE: this years close calls!

I was hunting in my dad's neighborhood (big 5 acre lots) that borders a 360 acre hunting lease.......I was dropping my pin on asmall doe on Monday morning, and the family dog runs up from the house and barks it away........I was fuming.....It was a little bitty doe, so it's not too bad......needless to say, my dad is installing some radio collars w/ fence this weekend!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been trying to get my wife her first deer and we have two stands set near our house, she runs out there when she can and several times we have gone out together. We are about 60 yards apart.

Monday, we went out around 3:30, was 80 degrees so I didn't have much hope. For some reason when I got out there I started to get a good feeling.

About 4:15 I couldn't remember how I had set my adjustable call, I either had to take it apart to look, and maybe drop parts, or blow in it, so I blew in it. I could see my wife start really looking around

About 30 seconds later I heard a "non squirel" sound behind me. I peeked under the branches back there and could pick out 4 deer feet and a nose picking up acorns, coming my way. I looked over at my wife, she didn't notice, and I picked up my bow and stood up. I lost sight of the deer when I did this. Things went very quiet and I started second guessing what I really saw, eventually convinced myself I know what I saw, just be patient. I then heard the deer walking coming closer, but couldn't see it since I am screened from that angle. Deer walked, stopped for a few minutes, walked stopped. After about 5 minutes of this I found it, turns out to be a nice buck, not huge, but up here we only get a couple chances a year. Was between a 6-8 pointer. He walked into to 25 yards broadside looking for the deer he heard call. Problem was he was screened by a branch of a sapling.

I looked over at my wife, she had no clue anything was happening. The buck ended up standing there for at least 20 minutes. Never moved, just chewed his cud, scratched his butt and ears, picked up acorns and looked around. I am to close to call again or he will peg me, but I am trying to send ESP messages to my wife to blow her call. I need another 10 feet on the buck! I decided if he walks on this side of my 25 yd tree I will take him, on the other side, let him go to my wife. I look over at her a few times during this, hoping she will see me standing with my bow in my hand and pick up on the ESP message, Nope.

Eventually the buck decides the deer he heard must be gone, he turns to walk back the way he came, I grabbed my call and called again, he stopped, I called again softly, he blew, and just stood there. then blew again and stood there. Waited about 30 seconds and ran off blowing. My wife laughing the whole time (a few days earlier she got blown at and I laughed at her).

When we got down, I told her what really happened and that I was very disapointed she didn't hear my ESP after 20 years of marriage she should be able to read my mind. Her answer: "I heard ya, I ignored it, that deer is mine and I didn't want to help you shoot him"

What a girl.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

That was funny!

Tom
Old 10-13-2006, 07:49 AM

Wow, I guess that proves that even through ESP your wife will still ignore you.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why is it women can read our minds, but we can't read theirs even though we are expected to?
Old 10-13-2006, 08:10 AM

ORIGINAL: isatarak

Why is it women can read our minds, but we can't read theirs even though we are expected to?
Simple. They're smarter than us.

Wish I had some close call stories to talk about this year. I've been in the woods 4 times, saw deer 2 of those and came home victorious on both. I'm more that positive I will have stories to tell here pretty soon though.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

More close calls that I would like to have this year.
1 on a spike bull elk back in september.
1 miss on a doe @ 15yds wide open broadside
2 more passed shots on does waiting on even more perfect shots
Old 10-13-2006, 08:48 AM

I was out Sunday, first time I'd been out since opening day a week prior. It was hot, I had sweat dripping off my nose the entire time... didn't think I'd see anything. I had squirrels and chipmunks swishin' around all evening, so the rustling leaves meant nothing to me at that point. Besides, I only have one small shooting lane behind my stand anyway, so what are the chances a deer is going to walk into it?

So, I was fixin' to get down in about 5 or 10 minutes and start walking out, bout 20 min. before time was up, I always get down about 15 minutes early when I hunt alone, don't like the dark woods at night... I hear a twig snap, but again, thought nothing of it. Figured I'd take one more look behind me before I got down. There he was, an odd looking smallish buck... but it woulda been a deer none the less... Kinda unique looking with a single spike on one side, about 8 or 9" tall and about 2" palmated, never seen anything like it before, thought it would be an interesting deer to add to my collection... Unfortunately for me, he hadn't made any sounds coming in and by the time I turned around, he was about 10 yards away, perfectly broadside, but one step too far out of my shooting lane. His tooshie was all that was in my lane... due to leaves on the trees I didn't have a shot. So I watched him, as he walked directly under the apple tree that stands beside me, but offers NO shot opportunities, too thick.

It looked like he was gonna come right out the other side and cross the creek that I hunt over, which woulda gave me a perfect shot, but as soon as he got on the other side of the tree, he turned and started walking down the creek bank away from me. At this point his back was to me and he was maybe 20 yds out. I figured, I'm getting ready to leave anyway, so I will just sneak down my ladder and see if I can get him going out. He didn't hear me get out, and I stood on the ground watching his toosh for about 3 minutes before he turned perfectly broadside, unfortunately, he was just out of my comfortable shooting range, probably 30 yds out. I really didn't want to take a chance of wounding him or spooking him out of the area, so I let him walk away. Of course I tried to get closer first, but he finally figured out something wasn't right and sauntered into the thicket...

lesson learned: do NOT hesitate to turn around if you hear the slightest rustle of leaves.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Typical Buck

I was out last week for the second time in the season. I got into my stand at 2 and didnt see anything til 6. at 6 i heard leaves behind me, and saw a 120-130 45 yds away. He started feeding away, and I grunted to him. He promptly turned around and headed my way. I started to draw, but he stopped short all of sudden. He swung aroundand walked 50 yds away, and then walked downwind. He walked straight in while he was downwind to about 55-60 yds, and then busted me.