Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Will the rut start early because of weather? >

Will the rut start early because of weather?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
yes
25.53%
no
69.15%
no concern
5.32%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Will the rut start early because of weather?

Old 10-12-2006, 03:36 PM

Default RE: Will the rut start early because of weather?

Phototropism (sp) - when daylight timeis shorter than dark.

A doe's gestation period is 160 days. Count back 160 from the begining of spring. It can vary by a week or two either way but normally the rut kicks in near or around Nov. 10 in the Ohio valley.

Bucks will continue to breed does every 30 days up till March providing the doe's have not been bred up to that point. Normally a small percentage of does will begin cycling near the 2rd week of Sept. The majority of the doe's coming into heat will be near or around the 2nd week of Nov.

That is whatis called the peak rut.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

As has been stated...A bucks testosterone level raises due to the days being shorter...They start showing agressive behavior because of this....BUT...

A doe will not come into heat until a certain time period (about 5 months if my memory is correct) after dropping her fawns...This insures that she does not give birth too early in the spring, so they all have a good food supply....

So..."the rut"....Do you define it as soon as bucks start to show agressive behavior or...
Only when a doe goes into heat and can concieve???

btw...a does or bucks rear hocks turn black when their hormones are "right"...After a doe has been bred and is pregnant...Hers turn back white....While a buck will move on to find another....I have seen does with black hocks as early as September, here in NC....And as late as January...this is when most of the doe fawns (this year's crop) get bred...They also have a higher % (I think its 60%) of buck fawns.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:51 PM

ORIGINAL: wpmcdaniel

Here in SC, I've already seen SOME rut activity. Also a buddy of mine killed a buck that was in rut.
As someone else stated in a post awhile back, bucks are always ready to go and these cooler temps might make them chase does, but that doesnt mean that the rut is on. It depends on the moon phase and amount of light that triggers the rut. This is what brings does into estrous cycles.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:04 PM

Rut begins when the major percentage of the does come into heat.

Buck's testosterone level will rise as they go into hard rack. A buck will have the urge to breed any time of the year. The testosterone level dictates his potency. I've seen our bucks trying to "corn-hole" each other at various time of the year. When they get the urge, they'll try to mount each other if they can.

The buck's tarsal glands darken because the buck piss's down his legs. A doe's hocks will darken as well while she comes into hear. She'll dribble and urinate frequently as well. It normally takes one day to come into heat, one day in heat, and one day going out of heat.
ORIGINAL: nchawkeye

As has been stated...A bucks testosterone level raises due to the days being shorter...They start showing agressive behavior because of this....BUT...

A doe will not come into heat until a certain time period (about 5 months if my memory is correct) after dropping her fawns...This insures that she does not give birth too early in the spring, so they all have a good food supply....

So..."the rut"....Do you define it as soon as bucks start to show agressive behavior or...
Only when a doe goes into heat and can concieve???

btw...a does or bucks rear hocks turn black when their hormones are "right"...After a doe has been bred and is pregnant...Hers turn back white....While a buck will move on to find another....I have seen does with black hocks as early as September, here in NC....And as late as January...this is when most of the doe fawns (this year's crop) get bred...They also have a higher % (I think its 60%) of buck fawns.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure why people would think that the weather this year would cause an early rut. Its not like it has been any colder than in the past. I live in central IL. and yes it was cool last night and supposed to be about 30tonight. However, it was 90 degrees 3 days ago. It has by no means been unseasonably cold. However, like someone else said the rut is brought on by the amount of light that is present during the day.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Typical Buck

Short answer - no.

Slightly longer answer - ..........because the rutting moon is in early November.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

From Ill I know you consider a nice buck to be?

I always see young deer running around this time of year.
Hey if a doe came into estrus early you never know.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: shed33

Campo I agree.

Now daylightobservations/evidence by us hunters..of deer rutting behavior can be swayed by weather conditions..simply put the photoperiod triggers doe estrus annually, weatherconditions on the other handgets them on their feet during daylight hours for us hunters to witness...many times do to poor hunting weather conditions, deer are rutting like crazy..just after dark...

Does the MOON light affect the photoperiod (amount of light in a day) enough to pull the rut or trigger it ealier or later... Debate that until the end of time... Charlie A... does a lot of research on this..

My thoughts exactly!!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Campo said it all, and that's it!!!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Campo

The rut is dependant on the photoperiod, or the amount of light that reaches a deers eyes. It has nothing to do with the weather.
The rut will be pretty close to the same time as last year.
Exactly; it's all daylight hours. HCH

Quick Reply: Will the rut start early because of weather?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.