Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 does the can call work? >

does the can call work?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
It works
38.57%
It dont work
10.00%
It works sometimes
48.57%
Other
2.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

does the can call work?

Old 10-11-2006, 11:59 AM

Default RE: does the can call work?

I've tried it the last three seasons during the November/December late archery season and haven't had any results (good or otherwise)related directly to the can.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:00 PM

It worked in the heat of the rut for me last year. I had a 6, 4, spike and then a big 8 come in, in a matter of minutes of hitting that call. I will try again this year.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:11 PM

Like some said all calls only work sometimes! Depends on the mood of the deer. I have shot two bucks, a six pointer and an eight pointer that I owe to the can. They both came out of the woods and was going the wrong way, hit the can and the eight pointer turned on a dime and came right in and the six slowly came in. Now I have also had bucks come out with there nose to the ground and sniffing the air looking for a doe, hit the can and they just give a look and keep on going. It all depends on the deer. I think another problem people have with calls is they over use them to soon.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had more success with the can than with my grunt call.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:16 PM

It works sometimes, I've called in more does than bucks using the can.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I was at a stale mate 2 years ago. I got on my knees and asked God to help me. I studied a map and felt God lead me to a certaoin area. There was one single pine tree between 2 Florida bayheads. I felt led to use the CAN and use it again only after I read 5 chapters of John. While on chapter 5 I heard something high stepping it through the swamp. I couldn't believe it. I put the spike in my crosshairs and it was walking away when my inner man said out loud SHOOT IT!! I squeezed off a round out of my 30-30 Marlin. The young buck fell stone dead immediately.
God is good!!

Last year I went to another state,,1100 miles away. After I was in my tree I used the can..10 minutes later a doe and 3 nice bucks walked by. The 2nd one is one I tagged.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

I have used them in the past and seen NOTHING how ever I just bought a video callled tactics for talking to deer from Peter Fiduccia and he shows several differant ways to use the bleat can and low and behold the way I have been using it as well as many I am sure I was making a distress call according to this video, basically when you flip it if you let it sound long and slow you are making a distress call cut that amount in half and you now are making a social call verses an alarm or distress call, I plan to use this soon I'll keep you posted as to the results. if you are interested here is the link and No I do not work for these people but considering how many instructional videos I have bought I should own a vast majority of there stock LOL, but if you are a newbi with no one to teach you as I am you will find these videos very helpfull. Good Luck

http://www.stoneywolf.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29_42&products_id=405

Old 10-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like any other call, if used at the right time in the right manner, it can work! It, like any other call, won't work every time!! Here's the buck that I called in last year, using only the can to bring him to me. He was cutting across an open field 80 yards away from me when I spotted him. I only used the CAN to first get his attention, then once again to bring him my way. I shot him at 11 yards. Without calling to him, he would not have given me a shot! This was during the rut!

This is the only deer I've harvested using the CAN, but it has called other smaller bucks and some does to me in the past! I called a small basket racked 8 point to me 3 different times in one afternoon a couple years ago. He come in range looking for the deer he thought he heard, eventually move on, about the time I couldn't see him any more, I'd call, and he'd come back.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

why do does come to the call?
Old 10-12-2006, 05:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

The buck I shot two years ago is a testament to the fact that it does work. I called him in with two "bleets" of the can from about 60 yards out. He made a beeline almost straight for me.

Haven't had much luck with it since though.

Quick Reply: does the can call work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.