Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting High pressure areas. >

Hunting High pressure areas.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting High pressure areas.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:35 PM

Default Hunting High pressure areas.

Hi I was looking for some advice on hunting. I hunt on a military post and am having trouble finding deer / good hunting areas. Every where u go either training or hunters are all over the place. I'm trying to hunt areas that are only open on the weekends to help with the fact that not so many hunters will be in these areas. There are some really nice deer in the area and Im asumming its safe to say they are accustomed to humans being in their area. The picture below is the area I want to hunt Any thoughts on where i should go. Any other advice Im a new hunter this is my first season. I have a 15 foot treestand and so far if seen a couple deer will things pick up as the rut becomes closer?

The white lines are there to add depth where u see the cirle is on top of a ridge above the lake.

The purple dot is where my stand is now. there is a hedgedrow of trees spliting the two feilds which are relatively open. With some cover.

The yellow areas are bedding areas

The orange are deer trails

Blue are creek beds the ones on the left are dry.

Any advice? if you need more clarification just let me know

Old 10-09-2006, 07:59 PM

Default RE: Hunting High pressure areas.

I like the place where the trail squeezes close to the creek.
#1. Get a climber and a harness, deer will pattern you long before you pattern them.

#2. Play the wind. Do the things that seperate you from the other hunters.

#3. Hunt when others don't. Deer know it's safe at lunchtime in high pressure areas.

#4. Stay away from popular scent products. Somebody using Tink's 69 has likely already shot at them.

These are some OPINIONS that I have formed from successfully hunting an area that is less than 400 acres and sometimes has up to 20 "hunters" a day.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:03 PM

1. Saddle
2. Looks like several ridges coming together....

Old 10-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

What are the green lines? I really like where the two orange lines/trails intersect coming around the resevoir and from the field, this is a funnel. Actually the whole woods/ridge/side hill where that trail is is a funnel. I like your stand location as well but I might consider moving "down" the picture. Not sure map direction..dending on prevailing winds.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to the site.
I drive 30 miles to hunt a public hunting area .It has a lot of pressure. I purposely started archery hunting to give me more scouting time. I'm in my 5th year of public land and here are a few things I've picked up...

1. Get away from the other hunters..I start scouting after I'm at least 800 paces off the main trail.

2. Try and find some acorn trees., a water source, deer dropplings and busy trails.,,last years rubs..

3. Pull up Goggle World and look for funnels , ridges, farms that border the areaetc.

4. Be early at the gate. Most of the pros are first and sometimes they talk too much. Have a teachable spirit..and many will slip up and tell you some secrets.

5. Learn the other food plants in the area besides the acorns.

God bless,
C7

Old 10-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree get yourself a climber, assuming the trees are suitable for it. Then find a good area as far away from the parking lot and any roads as possible, and get there early and let the rest of the hunters push the deer to you. Most people won't go very far from where they park. Stay a little longer until the others leave for lunch. They might bump a deer to you on their way out. Try to find escape routes.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:44 PM

Get more purple dots
Old 10-09-2006, 09:42 PM

the green lines on the map are training areas. This area is pretty much smack dab in the middle of Ft. Leonard Wood. There are no fields like corn or soybean or the like around. Food source for the most part would be acorns persimmons are around, and i guess the open feilds here and there with clover. Thats why im having a hard time hunting because all the feilds that are open everyone and their mom is hunting. This area doesnt seem to have to many people hunting. The map is shown with north up. Im thinkin i may goto the suggested area 2 for a stand. that way i have the wind more in my favor only problem is its pretty thick there and would be harder to get in and out quietly if i follow that line of trees that splits that feild i can get in without any noise really
Old 10-09-2006, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

This is my first season bow hunting, and I am hunting Ft Leonard Wood as well. Lets get together and do some hunting.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

get up high and look for exit routes....go deep in the thick stuff..or get in deep earlier than the crowds and theyll push em to ya