Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First Bow Deer

Old 10-09-2006, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default First Bow Deer

Well I finally got my first Bow deer. It was very exciting. It was about 5:30 when they came in. I was able to get into position without much trouble, just watched the eyes and only moved when there weren't looking. Then as I'm drawing a deer looks in my direction so I had to hold my bow in half draw for about 20 secs. Let it down. Drew again and as I set my pin the deer moves. So had to let it down again. The deer stops behind a tree I draw again only to watch the deer go back the way it came. So I put it down. Finally I draw the deer stops behind a tree. I'm starting to shake from fatigue and it steps out and I let it fly.

The arrow a carbon express 350 with 100gr Muzzy 4 blade hit a little further back than I had guessed it would. Itentered through the liver and exited out the outside lung. The deer kicked and ran. I calmed down and had a seat and just hoped that it would would drop close by but I never heard it crash. About 15 minutes later another loan deer a larger one comes into the area. He is eating and pointing right in my direction so I don't move. As he goes to move I try to get into position to take him but my chair squeaked and he took off in a hurry.

Around 7pm I hear a pack of coyotes going crazy. I was really worried that they were attacking my deer since it has happened to me in this area before.

I started tracking the deer at about 8pm. The arrow while drenched in blood did not leave a blood trail. My buddy was truely amazing at finding blood about the size of pin head. We ended up about an hour later about 50 yds from where we stared when the blood trail just stopped. We decided to fan out and after about 30 secs of searching I found it bedded up under a tree.

I was more relieved than excited since for most of the track I was thinking I'd never find it especially with the yotes sounding off.

The deer was a button buck that weighed about 85 lbs. I butched it yesterday and I was able to get about 40lbs of meat from it. It is going to be some fantastic eating.

Tom
Old 10-09-2006, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: First Bow Deer

Congratulations! Nice job on being patient and finding that deer.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats
Old 10-09-2006, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

congrats!
have any pics of so post 'em
Old 10-09-2006, 07:36 AM

Congrats on your first bow deer!
Old 10-09-2006, 07:40 AM

Congrats on the button buck.
You are looking at some real good eating!
Old 10-09-2006, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

congrats... now go find pops
Old 10-09-2006, 11:06 AM

congrats on your first bow kill
Old 10-09-2006, 11:28 AM

Nice Job, Now lay down GrandPappy.

WhackMaster says a dead deer is a tasty deer.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats, the first is a special one!

Quick Reply: First Bow Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.