Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Has this ever happened to you...?? >

Has this ever happened to you...??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Has this ever happened to you...??

Old 11-12-2002, 06:55 PM
Spike

Default Has this ever happened to you...??

I'm into my fourth year of bowhunting. My first year I shot a doe and a nice 8-pointer with both shots being pass-through's. The next year I shot a smaller 8, and again a pass through - all 3 double lunged and expired within 100 yards. Last year I never got a shot off...which brings me to this year. About a month ago a respectable 8 pt came by quartering away..turned at the last second and I missed clean. Two weeks later another 8 pt came within 10-12 yds and i stuck him high and never found him. Tonight another 8 pt (not huge but a shooter for me) was hot on a doe and as it turns out I got yet another shot at about 10 yards. The arrow bounced off of him like he was robo-deer. I know it was a little low and I was trying not to make the mistake I made on the last deer, but I didn't think it was a terrible shot. The more I think about it the deer's front leg may have been back enough so that the blade was farther back. There was no blood on the broadhead(maybe a drop) and no blood on the ground. I know I hit him because he had a pretty good limp and I saw the arrow hit him. I guess I don't know if I am looking for advice or just venting. Thanks for listening.
Old 11-13-2002, 05:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Has this ever happened to you...??

If you are looking for advice then I would question what type of setup you are shooting...?

For an arrow to bounce off of a deer your setup has to either be low in kinetic energy levels (and hit a shoulder blade), improperly tuned or, if you shoot expandable heads....then it didn't open properly.

Would you be kind enough to expand on this subject further?

Old 11-13-2002, 06:55 AM
Spike

I am shooting about 55-60 lbs. with 125 gr. rocky broadheads. If I remember right the arrows are 2316(??) I don't know the weight of the arrows.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:55 AM
Spike

I am shooting about 55-60 lbs. with 125 gr. rocky broadheads. If I remember right the arrows are 2316(??) I don't know the weight of the arrows.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

something has definitely gone out of whack on your setup. SHoot with a partner to see if they can tell something is wrong. Try retuning your bow to see if something went out. There are a lot better guys with the technical stuff than me here to help out.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gutpile, I had an arrow not stick two years ago in a similar situation. A cam on my bow had broke, and while it was being repaired I decided to use my wife's bow which is maxed out at 55 pounds. I practiced all week until I was shooting great groups at 25 yards. The first afternoon I hunted with it, I had a nice broadside shot at an 8 point at 25 yards. Right as I released the arrow, the buck stepped back with his left leg, moving the shoulder blade further back, the arrow hit the shoulder blade and it sounded like a baseball hitting a wood bat. The buck took off, the arrow was stuck in the shoulder blade for a few seconds and then fell out. Upon retrieval of the arrow, the very tip of the point had blood and was actually bent a little like a fish hook. The arrow did not penetrate but a 1/4 inch.

Old 11-13-2002, 07:20 AM
Spike

Rockeytop, I can relate to that sound of a baseball hitting a wood bat. That is a great way to describe it. And the blades were not bent like a fishhook but were wrinkled pretty good. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

I presume you are shooting fingers because 2316's are very heavy and stiff arrows to be shooting at 55-60 lbs., even with fingers. Just my opinion Ok but.....I have no idea how your arrows are "not" shooting left even at close range before straightening out. I just suspect your arrows are flying very much left at close yardages due to overstiffness and the broadheads are not hitting head on, causing deflections. If you shoot a release you are definitely shooting too stiff an arrow! I hope I don't sound like I am berating you, I am not.....just trying to help.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:35 AM
Spike

I am far from a professional bowhunter and I am not positive about the 2316, I will have to check at lunch. I am shooting a release, and I was set-up 4 years ago by a professional archery shop that was highly recommended by some of my buddies. Again..I'll have to check on that arrow size.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:24 AM
Spike

I checked at lunch and I was wrong...my arrows are 2315. Does that change things??