Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 good shot/missed vitals/green stuff? >

good shot/missed vitals/green stuff?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

good shot/missed vitals/green stuff?

Old 10-08-2006, 09:20 PM

Default good shot/missed vitals/green stuff?

shot a nice 7pt, hit behind shoulder, green stuff like gutshot on arrow. Not musch blood, trailed very long way, cant understand what is the green stuff and what could I have hit?
Old 10-08-2006, 09:22 PM

Default RE: good shot/missed vitals/green stuff?

Sounds like a paunch hit to me, too far back in other words.

Check Rob's thread pinned at the top for advice.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

uh the guts , sounds like u shot thru the stomach. green stuff is probaly chewed up leaves and grass
Old 10-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Did you recover the animal?

I drilled a doe about 10 yrs ago that had I NOT seen the hit I would have sworn was a gut shot......the arrow was covered in green grass and goop.

But the shot was about 6 yards and on a hillside with the deer almost eye level with me. I couldn't have drawn a shot better.

What I hit was the esophagus, it was full of gut material that must have been regurgitated before the shot. The chest cavity and the holes had green grassy gook in them.

So yes it can happen on a perfect hit. The only difference is mine went down in sight because the shot really was GOOD.

Again...........what are the circumstances of your deer exactly and was it recovered?
Old 10-08-2006, 09:26 PM

Yep, green stuff if from the stomache. Smell it and it will be putrid and gross smelling. But thats a gut hit. I hope you left the deer alone and didn't jump on tracking him. If you did, he will lay down and die so you can find him in the morning.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Did you recover the animal?

I drilled a doe about 10 yrs ago that had I NOT seen the hit I would have sworn was a gut shot......the arrow was covered in green grass and goop.

But the shot was about 6 yards and on a hillside with the deer almost eye level with me. I couldn't have drawn a shot better.

What I hit was the esophagus, it was full of gut material that must have been regurgitated before the shot. The chest cavity and the holes had green grassy gook in them.

So yes it can happen on a perfect hit. The only difference is mine went down in sight because the shot really was GOOD.

Again...........what are the circumstances of your deer exactly and was it recovered?
Very good point Matt...
Old 10-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck with your recovery. I hope you find him in the morning. And keep in mind what Piebalddoe said about the smell. If the bucks belly is bulging it will pop like a balloon when you make your first incision. And if your face is over that hole you'll be sorry. Trust me, I learned the hard way many many years ago. [:'(]
Old 10-09-2006, 06:42 AM

Sure sounds like a gut shot to me. But I have heard of the same circumstances Matt has spoke of, never had it happen to me but is very likely. You did mention you hit behind the shoulder. so I am suspecting you did catch some of the guts. Let u sknow how you make out. I always hate to hear when someone loses a wounded deer.[:@] But sometimes no matter how hard your look sometimes you may never find it. Good luck with your search.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

When a deers stomach is full it can push up into the lung area. You don't have to be too far back to catch the stomach then, and it's contents will plug up a wound. Not leaving much of a blood trail.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:01 PM

Sounds like a paunch hit with the exit hole plugged up. Good luck in your endevours. Take it slow and scrutinize everything when trailing. You can recover the deer. It will take much patience and time.

Quick Reply: good shot/missed vitals/green stuff?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.