Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Range finder alternative help please? >

Range finder alternative help please?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Range finder alternative help please?

Old 10-07-2006, 09:44 AM

Default Range finder alternative help please?

Howdy! everybody;

Wondering if someone could help me out with something? Is there any cheap alternative to those high priced range finders. Seems no one sales those mechanical ones any more. What about the cheap nock offs they use for golf? I would appreciate any help, cause I realy am bad at judging distance from my tree stand.

God Bless/Good Hunting!

Holler Critter
Old 10-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Range finder alternative help please?

Step it off and tie ribbons in the trees. Different colors for different yardage.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:58 AM
dws

Ribbons on tree branches would be the easiest thing to do at a permanent stand site. You could even use the same colors for your corrosponding sight pins.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:54 PM

www.durhamoutdoorsupply.com
Rangefinders

Bushnell 5x20 Golf Scope Rangefinder
Item #10-0520

Bushnell has introduced a 5 power monocular that provides distance from 50-200 yards / meters to a flag. Knowing distance to the flag enables a golfer to determine the correct club to execute a shot or clear a hazard. Knowing correct distance ultimately improves confidence and scores on the course. The 5x20 Golf Scope is compact enough to fit into a pocket and very simple to use. Looking through the 5x focus-free monocular brings objects five times closer to your eye, providing sharp crisp detailed images. Within the golf scope is an etched rangefinder reticle. Once you have the base of the flag lined up to the bottom line of the reticle, simply determine distance to the flag by reading the numbers on the reticle that align with the top of the flagstick. The Bushnell Golf Scope is a great gift idea!

Your Price: $25.99 Product Detail

Do not know if this would do the trick or not, but thought I would pass it along.

Old 01-11-2018, 12:20 AM
Spike

There are many options available for the fan of rangefinders with a small budget. But, you will be mainly limited to non-interchangeable cameras and most of the options will be fixed.
The Canonet QL17 camera comes with a lovely 40mm 1.7 lens. This is a lovely little camera and very easy to use. You can buy this for under $100 nowadays.
Several different cameras with similar specification out there at this time and all of them are perfect options for a cheap camera.
The Konica C35 has a 38mm 2.8 Hexanon lens, The Olympus 35RC has a 40mm 2.8 Zuiko lens, the Yashica Electro comes with the outstanding 45mm 1.7 Yashinon lens is possibly the smallest rangefinders out there. The Minolta Hi-Matic E with 40mm 1.7 Rokkor lens which could be the alternative with a rangefinder.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...k=range+finder

I have the first one shown, the camo one. It works just fine for my purposes and I have stood side by side with friends with more expensive ones and they showed the same distances when we compared them.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

I assume we're talking short distances since you are in the bowhunting threads .. this is what I do when I don't have my Nikon ( might not be what you're askin but .. here ya go.. get REAL GOOD at 10 yds .. practice , different places , different environments , then you do 10 yd increments .. might sound hard but I know I can do it so anybody can do it .. with practice you can get w/ in 2 yds pretty consistently say out to 40 yds .. beyond that you can visually cut a distance in half and mentally measure half and double it . I shot a buck the other day and guessed 80 yds and it was actually 88 .. I know that's nfg for bow but 80 is very extreme for my bowhunting anyway ..hope you'll at least try it .. old 3d trick
Old 01-13-2018, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I have found range finders handy to predetermine ranges but not so hot when the animal is present.

Years ago when only the milatary had range finder they cost so much we just kept practicing judgeing distances.

Pick a spot guess what you think the range is and step it off. After a while you will get pretty good at it is you do it all the time.

Al
Old 01-20-2018, 08:27 AM
Spike

I have the halo xl 450 and it's priced cheaper than any of the new ones out there today.

Last edited by Billford99; 01-24-2018 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:59 AM
Spike

I purchased the XL450-7 for $77 after seeing some reviews on YOUTUBE that were favorable as I didn't want to pay the big brand price for same functionality and I have an older Halo Interceptor. Compact size, accurate readings at realistic hunting ranges, comes with a battery. Easy to use. Fast “On”. Bow and .22 Long Rifle shooter’s delight for zero, ranging and hunting. Bests estimating ranges by steps. Some users mentioned having problems using this device wearing glasses. I was able to use it wearing glasses, although I did have to press them close to my face. I tried it out at dusk to simulate ranging near the end of legal hunting hours. No problems. Would highly recommend this item/brand.

Quick Reply: Range finder alternative help please?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.