Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who makes  their own feeder mix? >

Who makes their own feeder mix?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who makes their own feeder mix?

Old 10-06-2006, 11:48 PM

Default Who makes their own feeder mix?

I've been experimenting with some different mixes: 5 parts corn to 3 parts rice bran seems to work better than plain corn; 4 parts corn to 2 parts each rice bran and sweet feed works even better.

What do you use and how well does it work?

Just wondering if I'm missing something that might make my feeders more popular.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:34 AM

Default RE: Who makes their own feeder mix?

I prefer to use a 50/50 mix of corn & soybeans. I haven't tried the sweed feed due to the high moisture content. I thought it would clog up in the feeder horn ???
Old 10-07-2006, 02:14 PM

Doesn't clog it too bad the rice bran seems to help dry it out a little
Old 10-07-2006, 04:12 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't own one. I prefer to hunt.[&:][8D]
Old 10-07-2006, 05:56 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I don't own one. I prefer to hunt.[&:][8D]
always a smart @#!
Old 10-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I try to do my part Madeline. I see feeders as one step away from fences and live stock. You call it always the smartazzzz, I call it calling 'em like I see 'em. People throw things around today in hunting that would have gotten them arrested and a loss of weapons and licenses years ago. The art of hunting is lost in baiting, QDM, food plots specifically designed to put more critters in an environment than it could hold on it's own. They become dependant on the food source and become easy victims to "Culling", "QDM","Management Deer" yada yada yada. You call it smartazz, I call it "The REST Of the STORY". I call it Shooting. I call it baiting. I call it all sorts of things... but certainly not hunting as I see it.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:18 PM

Did I mis type and give the impression that this feeder is hunted over, because it is not.
Last fall my daughter adopted an orphaned fawn, bottle fed it and kept it as a pet.
Before I get grief about this the fawn would not have survived without her help.
I posted the question wondering if I was missing some element in her food that would do her harm if not avaliable to her.
She gets to graze our land and all the acorns she wants but also eats from the feeder quite a bit.
davivmil I like you ONLY hunt fair chase, and wouldn't think of hunting over bait.
It is just shooting and takes the excitement out of the hunt for me.
I for one don't consider you a smartazzzzzzz but now you know the rest of the story.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Did I mis type and give the impression that this feeder is hunted over, because it is not.
Nope, but you gave the impression you had more than one scattered around the country side. Maybe I wrongly assumed how they were used.
Just wondering if I'm missing something that might make my feeders more popular.
I figured if someone had "FEEDERS" they wanted to be more popular it was probably a shooting tool.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:52 AM
Dominant Buck

3things:

No. 01: I too have "feeders". I have them because I have very small tracts of land that I have access to, and I like having the deer stay fairly close. I only received permission, this Fall, to plant food plots....and Ill do so in earnest, next Spring. I'll GUARANTEE you that I'll have a LOT more deeron these tracts once I have the food plots in (vs. "baiting").

No. 02: I don't hunt over the"feeders".....and Ipractice supplementalfeeding all year long (except for turkey season).

No. 03: "Baitingis legal in NC.......and if it's legal in your state....and you hunt over the bait......more power to you. Post your photos......I'll congratulate you.

OK....one more....No.04: I don't give a rat's axx whether anyone considers it "hunting", or not. If you think people value your opinion that much......you're likely to be mistaken.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2006, 09:35 PM

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.
Guess I should have made myself more clear on my intentions.
I did mistype I should have said feeder as I only have one.
For those who do hunt over bait that is your decision and if you are doing it legally go for it.
Food plots in my mind are a different issue entirely, they will draw and keep the deer there and make them much easier to pattern. Much like hunting around a bean or corn field, and I'm sure noone would call that baiting.
Baiting is legal in my state and people who do hunt over it may take more deer than I do. I have no problem with them taking more deer than me nor do I have a problem with them using bait, that is their choice, it is just one that I choose not to make.
If I have offended either of you I apologize but debate ofbaiting isn't the intended purpose of my original post.

Quick Reply: Who makes their own feeder mix?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.