Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Well that was a first. >

Well that was a first.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Well that was a first.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Well that was a first.

Well I came home last night to hunt this morning here, and since I'm not going to have many days to hunt this year (my last year of college is busy with student teaching, etc), I'm trying to make the most of it. Got into the stand well before daylight and was enjoying the cool morning. About 8:00, along comes about a 150-200lb bear. I was having fun watching him run around, and then all of a sudden he just turns and runs straight up the hill in a perfectly straight line toward my tree. He gets to it, and sure enough, begins to climb it! I thought oh great how am I going to spook him out of here. So I just yelled softly (as if that makes sense) and he looked up and just took off. I don't know, I thought it was neat that he just went straight for my tree and started to climb it. Sure made my morning!
Old 10-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Well that was a first.

Wow, that must have been an experience. My partner had something similar to that happen to him two years ago on my property.

Can you hunt bears in PA?
Old 10-06-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Wow, that must have been an experience. My partner had something similar to that happen to him two years ago on my property.

Can you hunt bears in PA?
Yeah, but not until November when they are in season.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'd a climbed up after him and gave him a good talking to.[&:]

Neat experience. Several years ago I was hunting a particular buck. The night before I was at full draw but he didn't offer me a shot so I figured I'd get him coming back in the morn. I was there before light and was just set up in my climber, bow still on the ground. I hear footsteps thinking oh no he's early and I see a blob coming through the woods toward me, I realized it was a bearl. Now mind you, I see maybe 1 bear per season in this neck of the woods, the travel it, rarely stay in it. Anway, he comes right to my tree and proceeds to smell my bow still laying on the ground. Realizing this I shined my light on him, he looks up and darts away. Only have I pulled the bow up did I realized he LICKED IT too. Whheww, close call.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:59 AM
Dominant Buck

I know, officer……I know…..and I’m sorry.

I know 4 arrows, a browning knife, 49 blows from a pair of Nikons and a drop kick sounds excessive……but I’ve never had a run-in with a bear, before.

Can I sit in your car while you write me a ticket?????

Oh yeah…..my pants…….I understand.

Jeff
Old 10-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

It's really cool watching bears do the 'bear thing'. For such a large critter they are very agile. I've seen them balance beam on a 5" diameter downed tree 6' off the ground. I've also seen them flip individual leaves over with their paws looking for beechnuts.

IMO, there is nothing like the adrenaline rush of putting an arrow through a bruin.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:14 AM

Oh yeah…..my pants…….I understand.

(think most of us would have that problem)

That has to be a grea sight to see. I know on the farm in Tennessee we used to see bears, but sinced we've moved to ohio there really arent any to see.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Dominant Buck

That bear would probably be attracted to my pants if he started up the tree.[&:][:-]
Old 10-06-2006, 09:28 AM

ROFL!

I'd definitely be needin' a change of britches after that!

Hubby wants to go bow hunting for bears, I'd LOVE to, but if I had a bear climbin' a tree I was in... I'd, well I would... well, not sure what would end up happening to me, cuz I'd probably pass out and fall out of the tree!

We don't have ANYTHING dangerous in these parts, coyotes are the worst, and I've only heard 'em, ain't seen 'em yet. I don't think they would bother me though.

Heck, hubby wants me to hunt in Northern Michigan and I nearly need to change my pants just thinkin' about the fact there are bears all over the danged place up there!
Old 10-06-2006, 08:34 PM

Made your morning? You obvously get a charge out of different things than I do. I really can't even start to feel good about the idea of possibly being on the lunch menu...LOL... Think DEER,they're safer !! LOL.

Good luck

God Bless