Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Good Broadheads for Bad Hits??? >

Good Broadheads for Bad Hits???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Good Broadheads for Bad Hits???

Old 10-06-2006, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default Good Broadheads for Bad Hits???

I've been hunting for many years. I've taken what I consider a large amount of whitetails. I shoot a lot and am a very good shot. I have a steady nerve in the woods and have taken over 20 bucks in my 15 years of hunting. But bad shots do happen from time to time and one did yesterday.

I've shot many types of broadheads over the years not being able to find one that I really like. I talk to my bow hunting buddies about broadheads and it has became a real hot topic lately. One thing we do know is on a good shot, just about any broadhead will do the trick. The broadhead that performs well on bad shots should be the winner.

Broadheads that passthrough are probably a priority, with the hole size or damage for bloodtrails being a close second.

I was shooting the Eastman First Cut EXP 100's and in my opinion they are junk. On a quartering away deer, behind the ribs they didnt pass-through(295 fps with on 415 grains). On a doe I shot an hour later with a double lung, i did get pass-through with the arrow sticking into the dirt about 6 inches. Both shots left a very light bloodtrail. Double lung shots, should not leave a light bloodtrail IMO.I never did find the buck. I did stumble accross the doe who ran about 100 yards, with no blood for the last 30 yards.

Anyone who has bowhunting any length of time has had bad hits and lost deer. It's a shame when this happens, but it does happen and will happen again to all of us. I know ofthree 8 pointers this year that went un-recovered because of bad hits and/or poor broadhead performance.

Discuss.

Old 10-06-2006, 07:36 AM

Default RE: Good Broadheads for Bad Hits???

There is no excuse for poor shots on game.

Blaming the broadhead is a cop out, and nothing more.

However, that being said, a broadhead with a wide cutting diameter would be the best to compensate for poor shots. One that does maximum tissue damage is what you'll want.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Just out of curiosity - how many animals have you taken with your bow? And have you ever made a poor shot or lost an animal?

Old 10-06-2006, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you asking maximum damage or maximum pentration. Just simplifying things a larger cut (diameter) broadhead with multiple blades could deliver more damge then a smaller diameter head given the same pentration rate, while a two blade cut on contact has been proven (Dr. Ashby)to get the best penetration on game but may not do the most damage.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

I'm not trying to blame the broadhead, but the boradhead I used left a very small hole and very poor bloodtrail.

I have seen deer shot in the hind quarter with a Vortex 125 grain and it left a hole in the deer the size of my hand, ran 100 yards and looked like someone took a red paint can out in the woods and started slinging it all over the place.

Saying there is no excuse for a bad hit comes from in-experience. They do happen and will happen. That's why it's called Bow-Hunting and not Bow-Killing.

Let's please just discuss broadheads, performance and your expereinces with them.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:46 AM

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Just out of curiosity - how many animals have you taken with your bow? And have you ever made a poor shot or lost an animal?

Three, and yes.

I made a bad shot on the first deer I took and I lost a great buck last season.

Both shots could have been prevented had I taken more time.

The majority of poor shots are made by hunters not taking their time, rushing the shot, or taking shots that aren't 100% ethical. Granted, accidents do happen, an unseen branch in a shooting lane for instance, can throw a shot off. However, the majority of poor shots can be prevented.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Moebedda

I'm not trying to blame the broadhead, but the boradhead I used left a very small hole and very poor bloodtrail.

I have seen deer shot in the hind quarter with a Vortex 125 grain and it left a hole in the deer the size of my hand, ran 100 yards and looked like someone took a red paint can out in the woods and started slinging it all over the place.

Saying there is no excuse for a bad hit comes from in-experience. They do happen and will happen. That's why it's called Bow-Hunting and not Bow-Killing.

Let's please just discuss broadheads, performance and your expereinces with them.
Believe me, I've had my share of bad experiences.

The shot I made on my first doe hit her in the paunch. I was shooting 3-Blade 100grn. Muzzys. There was a good trail to follow, and when we found her the holes on both sides were fairly large. Had it been a lung hit, she would have gone down easily.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

BobCo19

I guess what I am looking for is the best of both worlds. I am a firm believer in passthrough shots. My friend hit a branch the other day with his mechanical Grim-Reaper 100 grain and he thinks it threw off his shot alot. He got a gut shot, pass through, blood all over, but couldn't find it. On the base of the blade where it opens up, he found a little bark where he thinks it may have cought on an unseen branch, which in turn threw his shot off enough.

I've heard mechanicals do lose some Kinetic Energy on impact, but i really never thought it was enough to worry about. Now i have my doubts.

I see a lot of fixed 3 blades on the market, but it seems like a 4 blade might do more damage. Is there less penetration on a 4 blade compared to a 3 blade?
Old 10-06-2006, 08:00 AM

From what I've heard the slick trick does its part. Never Shot it and due to his complications i wasnt able to receive mine this year. But I really like both the penetration and damage the G5 Montec does. In my opinion the one piece fixed blades are the way to go.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

I just found this http://www.american-hunter.com/broadheads/broadhead_test.htm

Interesting stuff

Quick Reply: Good Broadheads for Bad Hits???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.