Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what do u do?

Old 10-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default what do u do?

i was hunting last weekend, and i saw a doe coming from 60 yards, so i decided to slowly lift my bow and get ready, as i was doing this thedoe looked right at me and a few minz later ran away, do you guys sit perfectly still until your ready to shoot? or do you try to get ready before its in bow range?...

i think im going to try not moving till im ready to shoot, and the deer is within bowrange, because even tho it will see me standing, they usally freeze and i might get a shot off... what do you guys do?
Old 10-05-2006, 06:53 PM

Default RE: what do u do?

once the deer start moving, I get my bow ready. But I have had some sneak up on me before and pulled my bow up the and had no problems. Good luck

Old 10-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

well,

say your bow is hanging, i would try to stand up and grab your bow all in one motion when the deers head is behind a tree.After getting the bow and standing up only move when the deers view is blocked of you or their head it to the ground...etc

what i do is i keep my hand in my wrist sling and my bow laid across my lap, i figure its just one less thing you have to do when you see them comming

just my 2 cents
Old 10-05-2006, 06:54 PM

I don't have a whole lot of experience with having deer in bow range, only had two so far in 3 years of bowhunting... that being said, with the first one, I picked a spot where I wanted to take the shot, waited for her to get there, stood up, drew back and shot.

With last year's, I had watched the little button buck for a while, he ended up laying down about 40 yards out, then about 1/2 hour later, he got up and came right towards me. He kept putting his head down to graze on beans, so I made any necessary movements when he had his head down. I did the same thing with him, decided where I would take the shot and when he got there, I drew back.

I always sit with my bow on my lap and my hand on my bow so that I don't have to do much of anything other than turn the bow upwards. It eliminates the need to bend over, reach over, etc...
Old 10-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

i agree, im going to try not to move till i have too, cause even if the deer spots you drawing back your bow, they usally freeze untill they realize your danger...
also i think i should range find some trees, cause trying to range find a deer in bow range is to risky.

good tips so far guys and girls.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to pick a time when the deer is behind something or looking away and then stand up and grab my bow. I don't know how high you were or your backround cover but it seems you got busted pretty quick. I usually get at least 20 ft up and try to have limbs behind me to conceal my shape. I am amazed at how much movement I can get away with sometimes and not have the deer spot me. Other times I think they see me breathe.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:02 PM

i like to use trail cams to aid me in a way that gives me a hint at when the deer will be coming through, that way i grab my bow about 10 minutes before then.... It worked last week
Old 10-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lte_622

i like to use trail cams to aid me in a way that gives me a hint at when the deer will be coming through, that way i grab my bow about 10 minutes before then.... It worked last week
You mean you can tell exactly when your deer is going to walk in front of you? You are my HERO!!!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

I try to pick a time when the deer is behind something or looking away and then stand up and grab my bow. I don't know how high you were or your backround cover but it seems you got busted pretty quick. I usually get at least 20 ft up and try to have limbs behind me to conceal my shape. I am amazed at how much movement I can get away with sometimes and not have the deer spot me. Other times I think they see me breathe.
i wasent that high up, maybe i should go higher.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Fork Horn

Whenever I am in the treestand I prefer to stand most of the time. I always put my bow cam in my front pocket and wrist already in the sling. I have had that problem also a couple of times. I think the deer have a wider field of vision when they are farther away. cause it seems I can get away with more movement whenever they are at close range. I am usually about 20ft in my stand and also try to keep something behind me to break up my outline,and as far as drawing the bow, I always wait until head is down,or they walk behind a tree.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.