Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Urban PA hunting? >

Urban PA hunting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Urban PA hunting?

Old 09-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Urban PA hunting?

Hey guys,
My girlfriend lives in PA and there are tons of deer in her neighborhood, ive been seeing 2 nice 10pts. I was wondering what the rules were for bow hunting... ie. how many acres you need, and permissions. Most of her neighbors hate the deer, so i could probably get permission, i just want to do it right...
Old 09-28-2006, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Urban PA hunting?

Without permission there is a 50 yard safety zone I believe is still in effect. Of course you have to check with local "discharging a firearm" laws in the neighborhood. With permission, you can shoot off the porch.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:56 AM

For archery there is a 50 yard safety zone, can't hunt with in 50 yards or an occupied building meaning house that someone lives/works in. If you get permission you can hunt inside the 50 yards.

Other than that you are good to go. Good luck!

Ohh... you need to invite me along as well.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Taken from the 2006/2007 digest :
The safety zone for archery hunters statewide has been reduced from within

150 yards of any occupied residence, camp, industrial or commercial

building, farm house or farm building to
50 yards. This also applies

to crossbows during any season where they can be used. Around playgrounds,

schools, nursery schools or day-care centers, the safety zone
remains 150 yards.
There are plenty of honey holes located in the urban areas of PA. Most guys don't bother with them for whatever reason. I have a few that I frequently visit.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:43 AM

Of course you have to check with local "discharging a firearm" laws in the neighborhood
PA hunting laws supercede local "dischargeing a firearm" law, meaning if my local township has a law saying I cannot discharge a firearm this does not excluded hunting in a legal manor.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

T in PA3....im not sure but i think your wrong. towns and boroughs can say no discharging of a weapon. that would mean no hunting..i know of a township that closed spotting. just because you have a hunting license i dont think that means you can hunt anywhere. i know of townships you cant use a CF rifle. muzzloader, shotguns and bows are legal. the county and state allow rifles..just not that township. townships can make laws and i think they must be followed. if in doubt check the local laws. like if i found a place that was mostly houses but one woodlot i found i wanted to hunt and had owner permission..id check local laws and make sure discharging a weapon was legal. i may be wrong.....but just because your hunting i dont see how firing a weapon would be legal in places your not allowed to fire a weapon
Old 09-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

sweet thanks guys!! I'll be askin permission here in a few days!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:06 AM

Mauser,
This has been challenged in court. I'll see if I can find the ruling. The PGC can allow a municipality to regulate what weapons are used, like Philly & Pittsburgh being no rifle, but the municipality cannot regulate hunting.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

HuntingEd,

Good luck. What are of the state are you looking at.

I hunt my backyard and am in a residential neighborhood. In fact, this is one of the 3 bucks I am after...

Good luck.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice looking buck Pops! Good luck this year.

Quick Reply: Urban PA hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.