Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need help with arrow and broadheads. >

Need help with arrow and broadheads.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need help with arrow and broadheads.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:38 AM
Spike

Default Need help with arrow and broadheads.

I've got my girlfriend into archery, I am also new to the sport and need help with the set-up. She is pulling 27in. and 40 lbs. and I need help with the type of arrows and wieght of broadhead. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need help with arrow and broadheads.

id pick a good cut on contact 2 blade head just to ensure good solid penetration for a setup that is that light...well light compared to what most guys pull...
Old 09-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

my wife uses the rocket ultimate steel and now the cabelas version and has gotten total pass throughs with 45lbs. her bow is pretty quick though around 220-240 can rember exactly since last year. for arrows carbon in a higher weight then recomended for her bow to get some kinetic engergy. i also think cut on impact is a good choice.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

id pick a good cut on contact 2 blade head just to ensure good solid penetration for a setup that is that light...well light compared to what most guys pull...
Such as a Magnus Stinger 2 blade....

With light draw weights, you're going to want a heavy arrow. I'd say shoot the heaviest arrow she can use accurately. This will greatly increase her penetration. Forget the super light carbon arrows for her. Go heavy and get pass throughs.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Fork Horn

my wife shoots carbon i have her using arrows for 50-65lbs. total pass through. you have to be realistic too heavy and her max shot will be 10 yrds. my wifes arrows are 9 gpi i think. i just am totally against aluminums. what ruined them for me was when i was walking to a far away spot (3miles) and when i got about 100 yrds from my tree i got my foot caught in a vine tipped and fell. got up my tree and ass i pulled my bow up thought my arrows looked funny sure enough i bent all 7 of them. had to get down and walk all the way back. i bought my first carbons the next morning went back there and shot a nice 7pt.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Fork Horn

i think there is an arrow you can get weights for now maybe CX so if you want a heavy carbon you jsut put the long weight inside.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:58 PM

Something in say the 500 spine range, and a Magnus Stinger 85 gr. would fit the bill perfectly!
Old 09-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

bradkoz...you can add weight to any arrow i believe. i seen them in archery catalogs. and your story about bending alumanums....sure its a downfall...but i betcha carbons would break if you fall on them hard enough. nothing wrong with alumanums..just gota becareful and check them and make sure they are straight..

i do agree more weight the better..light wont gain much speed in a light setup. heavy will carry its KE better..but not OVERLY heavy. range will already be limited..or should be limited...i wouldnt shoot 35yds with a 40lb set up..just me though. set up properly theres no reason it wont be a deer killer within reasonable range though. i ran eastons calculator..with a 28 inch shaft youd be good with a 500 spine. arrow choice is upto you and her though...id stay away from LIGHT arrows trying to gain speed...just wont gain enough to make a diffrence...also...if shes not looking to hunt this year(not sure if she is or not) she can easily work up the muscles to pull 50+ by next year. just crank down on it every month or so..shell be at 50lbs in no time and will never notice you did anything. if thats possible on the bow....