Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tips for improving shooting skills >

Tips for improving shooting skills

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tips for improving shooting skills

Old 09-26-2006, 05:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Tips for improving shooting skills

I'd like to hear any tips you have that can improve consistency and accuracy while shooting a bow. I am pretty efficient right now and very confident in my abilities, but feel I can always get better. I'm very good out to 30 yards which is as far as I'm going to shoot. I am somewhat of a perfectionist though and want the perfect form. Maybe it's the golfer in me[:-]. I want to Robin Hood every arrow I shoot.(Not really... that may get expensive[8D]), but you know what I mean.

Maybe it's me, but I find this least talked about topic on here, at the same time the most important IMO. Maybe it's because everyone is very comfortable with their abilities? I still think there is room for anyone to get better. At the end of the day.... all the scents, stands, camo, trail cams, goodies, and gadgets doesn't matter if you can't be perfect at the moment of truth.

So let's hear some tips that you think about to improve your shooting. Also some bad habits to be avoided that adversely effects your shooting.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tips for improving shooting skills

Remember The 3 P's: Practice, Patience, and Persistance!!!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

When I started shooting with both eyes open this year I noticed an immediate improvement. Simple but effective change for me.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

I want to shoot with both eyes open (I think), but when I try...I just cant get into focus. I put the pin where it is supposed to be...with one eye closed and then open that eye and the whole thing gets real fuzzy.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good topic NY

I notice so many people pulling way to much weight

Another thing that is very ovious and can drastically change the way you shoot is your draw length.Most people want to be in the 29-30 inch class ,but will actually be at a comfortable 27-28 inch draw.This is probably the #1 way to loose accuracy and not be consistent.

Practice on a daily schedule if possible,not a week before season opens.
If you have been out of it for a few months,dont start shooting hundreds of arrows daily,shoot a few at a time to prevent yourself from getting tired.This is another way to pick up bad habbits.Your tired,shots are going erratic,start playing with pins and adjusting things.Your grip is off,your bow arm is locked etc.Need I say more[:-]
Old 09-26-2006, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

I want to shoot with both eyes open (I think), but when I try...I just cant get into focus. I put the pin where it is supposed to be...with one eye closed and then open that eye and the whole thing gets real fuzzy.
You might want to get your eyes checked. I had that problem myself found out i needed glasses. Now i shoot with both eyes open all the time.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:11 AM

I find that keeping my sight pin on the target until after the arrow impacts has drastically increased my accuracy and consistency.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMO the #1 tip to shooting consistently regardless of ones individual form is the proper use of back tension and shooting a relaxed shot.
Punching the trigger and anticipating exactly when the release will go off will kill accuracy quick fast and in a hurry.
You can do a quick little check to see if you are using back tension at all by seeing what happens to your release hand at the shot. If your release hand never moves when the shot is fired and just sits right at your anchor you aren't shooting with back tension.

The condensed version......don't grip the grip, bow arm is resistance only,good repeatable anchor, draw arm in line with path of the arrow, relax both hands, fire the release at least in part with back tension.
Provided the bow fits to begin with. Its very difficult to do the right things if the equipment you are using is counterproductive to doing them in the first place.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

While we are on the subject I have a question about my form. Why do I sometimes find myself kind of sticking my belly out and leaning back when at full draw. I can correct it if I think about it. It dosn't seem to affect my consistency just wondering what would cause this or is it just a strange quirk that I have?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2006, 07:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Slo-Pitch

While we are on the subject I have a question about my form. Why do I sometimes find myself kind of sticking my belly out and leaning back when at full draw. I can correct it if I think about it. It dosn't seem to affect my consistency just wondering what would cause this or is it just a strange quirk that I have?

Thanks
I'll bet your draw length is a half inch to an inch too long. Your body is trying to compensate for the extra inch or so you're pulling back. Try shortening it up and see if it doesn't correct the problem.

Quick Reply: Tips for improving shooting skills

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.