Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tree stand dummies! >

Tree stand dummies!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree stand dummies!

Old 09-26-2006, 05:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Tree stand dummies!

No I'm not talking about you guys and gals specifically[8D].
Does anyone put dummies in your stands that you leave out for the deer to get used to something in there? Do you think it's worth it?
Old 09-26-2006, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tree stand dummies!

I remember when these things first came out, what was the dummies name???????? Hunter Dan or somn like that? I think these are a waste of money and time.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:27 AM

i think that anything is worth a try i maen we do so many other thing that could be consedered a waste of time so why not try you might find it works or it might not give it a go and find out
Old 09-26-2006, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you keep it scent free I do think it will help. To make your own dummy take an old pair of coveralls and stuff them with anything even hay or straw and place it in your stand. I tie a rope on mine so I can puut it behind the tree when I am in the stand. Give it a try you may be suprised.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

A friend of mine did that once and some others hunters found it .
They thought the dummy was real and tried talking to it when it didn't respond they thought the dummy was a dead hunter in the stand and called the police out to investigate.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:58 AM

RDH, now that is funny...............
Old 09-26-2006, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive used an old CPR dummy, it worked great. The deer would like right at me and think nothing of it... it really does get them used to a human outline in the tree....
Old 09-26-2006, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea my friend and I thought so to, wish I had a picture of it.
It did look real enough to fool the other hunters , my friend had it dressed up and straped in with a harness the only thing that was missing was the bow on a hanger.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

The deer shouldn't be spotting and looking at your treestand anyway. If your being spotted, your not concealing your treestand/spot efficient enough. Why would I want the deer to look at me or my dummy replacement. Seems silly to me.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:48 PM

The lease I used to be a member of did that. We had numerous tower stands and for a while we had a problem with trespassers, so we got some maniquins from someone who bought them when a clothing store went out of business. We dressed them and placed them in the tower stands closest to the entrance roads. We only figured out the benifit of the deer growing accustomed to " someone " being in the stand, after the fact. It got to where the deer would walk out right by the stands and never pay us even the least bit of attention. And yes, it did help the trespassing problem. If they thought a member was in the stand they would back back down the road and leave. Problem solved

Quick Reply: Tree stand dummies!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.