Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My elk streak continues!! >

My elk streak continues!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My elk streak continues!!

Old 09-25-2006, 12:35 PM
CG

Default My elk streak continues!!

Well, he's no monster but he is my 7th bull elk in 7 years with archery equipment. Here's the story:
[blockquote]
After hunting VERY hard for about 12 days this season I finally took my archery bull this year. That makes 7 for 7 on archery bulls since 2000. I was being rather picky this season, holding out for a 320+ bull but wind/luck/karma/Murphy were all conspiring against me. Things weren't looking good to continue "The Streak" but this morning things panned out. I went into this final weekend with one intention-take the first bull that gave me a shot. Well, we had a doosy of a storm blow in last night and dumped a bunch of snow in my usual area so about 8:00 we got to an area with less snow and an area I knew had a few elk thanks to some helpful scouting and information sharing by my other hunting buddy Tory and our very own Purist1, Dan Mead (Thanks guys). Not even a 1/2 mile from the truck I give a locator bugle and get no response. My buddy, Gary, and I take 3 steps and look up to see a bull, a calf, and cow come flying of a hillside straight for us. We are absolutely stuck in the middle of a clearing with only a little knob between us and the 3 elk. I still have my bow in it's sling, Gary's is still on his backpack. Quite the scene. Two very experienced elk hunters making a whole list of rookie mistakes. Well, I manage to get my bow out of the sling and knock an arrow but the calf busts me. She is just staring a hole through me. The bull is still behind the knob in the middle of the clearing and hasn't seen us so I start softly cow calling over my shoulder. I starts around the knob to investigate and I draw. He stops broadside @ 35 yards and I hold my pin (set @ 30 yards) high on the chest and let her fly. Complete penetration about 2" high of a perfect hit. The bull runs about 40 yards and falls over backwards. THE STREAK LIVES!!! And did I mention we were less than 1/2 a mile from the truck!?!?!?! That NEVER happens to me. I bet my average pack-out is in the 5 mile range, of course, always uphill.
Honestly, I couldn't be happier with this bull. I've hunted long and hard this season and this bull was well earned. Plus it was a very exciting, if not unusual, hunt.
And did I mention it was less than a 1/2 mile from the truck?!?!?!

Here he is:

[/blockquote]

This year's bull was the 2nd smallest of the streak (2002 was a spike). Here's the largest of the streak taken in 2004:

Old 09-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My elk streak continues!!

Congrats CG! That bull from this year is nice but wow, that one from 2004 is a brute.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Excellent. My mouth is watering.

Do you mind disclosing what region in WY you are in and at what elevation? and How much snow??

Just trying to picture it

Thanks and way to go
hb
Old 09-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

How much snow??
In the area you didn't hunt that is--I can see you got just a skiff where you killed him
Thanks and again good job
Old 09-25-2006, 12:48 PM
CG

Acouple other elk from the streak.

2005:

2003:

Old 09-25-2006, 12:51 PM
CG

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

How much snow??
In the area you didn't hunt that is--I can see you got just a skiff where you killed him
Thanks and again good job

About 6-8"@ 8000 ft.....I killed him in an area @ about 6500 ft. right at the snow line. When I shot him the ground was white but it melted very quickly. We continued hunting for a couple of hours after I killed him to get my buddy his elkso the snow was mostly gone by the time we began field dressing.

SE Wyoming
Old 09-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

Way to go! Congrats and may the streak continue!
Old 09-25-2006, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

CG,

Are you talking about a Dan Mead from Wright? If you are is he on this site?
Old 09-25-2006, 01:20 PM
CG

ORIGINAL: Wheatley

CG,

Are you talking about a Dan Mead from Wright? If you are is he on this site?
He's from Laramie. Great guy!
Old 09-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, He grew up in Wright but lives in Laramie for the time being. I bet it is the same guy.

Quick Reply: My elk streak continues!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.