Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

You tell me...

Old 09-25-2006, 05:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default You tell me...

I have formed opinions on things found in this article long before reading it. I'd rather hear what you have to say without leading anyone and keep in mind it's just one account. I'm sure there's more to it.There's no right or wrong answer or should I say opinion. However, some may actually have answers to things that need answered. Food for thought is all that we will most likely accomplish. If we can just talk about this and respect each other it could be a very productive discussion. Do I doubt that will happen?I'm just throwing it out and have no intention of answering anything. Just want to know for myself what others think and maybe someone who's an authority on things like this, will respond. I'd like to read it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060924/ap_on_re_us/escaped_elk;_ylt=AvX5RMIP341LQHtc2HJOmcKs0NUE;_ylu =X3oDMTA3MzV0MTdmBHNlYwM3NTM-
Old 09-25-2006, 09:33 AM

Default RE: You tell me...

It sounds like someone has a personal problem with the rancher, but that the rancher has a problem with someone also.

But taking this one account and using it to form an opion, I would have to say this: A bear dug a hole, big enough for elk to fit through. Wow, that's one big hole. All of the mans elk escape. Well, the man , not the State, has the responsibility to watch the fencing and fix any holes. There-fore if the elk escape, and they are not tagged ( his other previous problem ), then they become the property of the State Game and Fish comission ( or what ever it is called up there ). If they got out, the man should have been out there right then rounding them back up and getting them back in the fence line of his property. He should have that right, But if he left them out, I think it said 7 days, and made no attempt to get them back, then they are fair game for anyone with a license and tag.

But thats just my opinion.

Good Hunting

God Bless
Old 09-25-2006, 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.
But taking this one account and using it to form an opion, I would have to say this: A bear dug a hole, big enough for elk to fit through. Wow, that's one big hole. All of the mans elk escape. Well, the man , not the State, has the responsibility to watch the fencing and fix any holes. There-fore if the elk escape, and they are not tagged ( his other previous problem ), then they become the property of the State Game and Fish comission ( or what ever it is called up there ). If they got out, the man should have been out there right then rounding them back up and getting them back in the fence line of his property. He should have that right, But if he left them backthem out, I think it said 7 days, and made no attempt to get them back, then they are fair game for anyone with a license and tag.

But thats just my opinion.
Mine too, almost verbatim.

It sounds like the Governor is doing exactly what he is supposed to, enforce the laws of the State and protect the public and the public resources.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:11 AM

Almost funny,......ALMOST!

A man perverts elk & "hunting" and is now mad at the state because he had a problem. That's like being mad at the state because your kid is in jail for armed robbery.

IMO, If his man-made elk are a threat to God's elk, they need to be dealt with promptly.

Personally I hope he loses every case.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW!! That is a great story--very interesting I mean.

I will have to side with the State of ID on this one. First off the Elk rancher is described as

a veterinarian who made a career of breeding trophy bull elk for wealthy hunters
Sounds like he is part of "THE Problem" concerning fair chase hunting practices, etc

I applaud the state for allowing open season on these escaped Elk as part of precautionary measures to insure the health of neighboring WILD herds in the absolute heart of Elk country--imo, a very legitimate concern.

Whack'em and stack'em
Old 09-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

In Wi. I feel that the DNR (state)has to much say. With that being said, I come from a state that is tring to handle CWD. If the state is tring to protect the wild from anything his elk may have them good for them. I am also certain that a few of the western states have handled CWD before with success. More then I can say for WI. The responsibility rest on the shoulders of that rancher to keep his pet elk in an encloser. Not sure how a giant elk fit through a bear hole but that is besides the point. Sounds like a peeing match between the rancher and the state.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't like government but I'm siding with the state as well. The species shouldn't be an issue. If it were renegade lions, they'd be shot, if it were escaped wilderbeast, they would have to be shot, because they are elk and elk are natural to ID, they still should be shot and culled from the wild herd. The rancher is at fault and has a right to quickly reclaim his animals, I think too much time has elapsed to think he's getting them and they need to be shot.

No different here in PA, wild boar escaped a pen and the PGC called for no closed season on them.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are many issues to the story, isn't there.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Now I say this tongue in cheek but if you think about it too long it starts to make some sense.

Suppose you bring in the original WHA along with the tranquilizer darts. Now you have your competiton, the herd gets back to the owner, and the States happy and every swinging d*ck with a or without a tag isn't posting your back-yard looking for some farm raised "trophy".