Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How Long Prior to Opener do You Set Stands? >

How Long Prior to Opener do You Set Stands?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How Long Prior to Opener do You Set Stands?

Old 09-25-2006, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How Long Prior to Opener do You Set Stands?

I always have my stands and a makeshift ground blind set up a month before opening day.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

i started mine 4 weeks before season and still have one left.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:43 AM

Usually 1 month minimum.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:48 AM

Two weeks...
Old 09-25-2006, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

We just got the rest of our 15 stands hung this past weekend.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just hung the last one yesterday (Sept24) and season starts on 30th. The early season is super slow and sometimes I will even trim lanes and such on the first day if it is too warm. My Dad doesn't even really hunt much until about two weeks into the season. I wish they would start the season two weeks later. In my youth I have hung a stand in the morning darkness the day of a hunt. My Dad used to carry his Griz ladder in for every hunt. That was work!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Dominant Buck

I would "think" that it wouldn't make that big of a difference, but I'm still kinda new to all of this. There are guys who kill deer ALL THE TIME from stands they climbed up a tree in THAT DAY. I try not to be careless.....but I'm not over the top, either. I had my stands set 2-3 weeks prior to the season......but I went, just yesterday, and hung one more. Clarification, though......I knew it was raining when I went in there.....and I knew it would likely wash my scent out. I wasn't disappointed. We got a gulley washer, last night.

Jeff
Old 09-25-2006, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our season comes in Mid Oct. and I typically like to get all of mine up by mid Sept...one month early. This year however I am a little behind schedule because I am hanging more stands. I have 2 up and ready to go, but I have 2-3 more that I need to hang.Hopefuly, Iwill het everything done this coming weekend.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Here in Pa our opener is always when the Saturday falls end of Sept or beginning of Oct. I always try to have all of my stands hung and trails cleared by the end of August and no later than Labor Day weekend.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

On my property I just set stands up this weekend and season starts in two weeks. I will set up more over the next week and as the season progresses. I usually start low on the mountain and then work my way up as the season progresses. I don't cut lanes. I may take a branch out here or there but I usually try to minimize impact. At another area I hunt my friend used to cut shooting lanes in the thick stuff but we found that the deer were going around the lanes. Now he either zig-zags the lanes so they justlook like small openings to deer crossing them, or use none at all. I also often just move to trees for a single hunt when I need to change strategies or hunting a new area or one I don't go to often. Again, no shooting lanes.

Quick Reply: How Long Prior to Opener do You Set Stands?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.