Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 trouble with other hunters >

trouble with other hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

trouble with other hunters

Old 09-24-2006, 02:24 PM

Default trouble with other hunters

Got a troublesome question for you guys, i am hunting an area that is open to the public, providing you buy a permit and attend their briefing. opening morning i hunted out of my climber, didnt see anyhting thanks to a truck driving illegally thru the area. that afternoon i decided to move to my ladderstand in a different area. problem was my stand was missing when i got there. its almost a 2 mile walk to my stand.but i seen a guy sitting not 40 yds from my tree in a climber. his tracks everywhere in there, noone elses. went back the next morning to find him there again this time i looked for my stand and found it, completely disassembled and hidden in the shrubs. the guy had left the area before i found it, i reinstalled it and set it back up on my tree. im headed back o ut there this evening, any suggestions on what to do before we have any problems over this? i already notified the local rangers to this but they didnt seem to worried about it. i really hate unethical rude and ignorant people.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:30 PM

Default RE: trouble with other hunters

I would try to reason with the guy with a positive approach. Maybe work out something where you guys know when each other will be there. At least he didn't steal your stand. Then if that doesn't work find his truck(make sure it is his) be sure his doors are locked and take super glue and squirt into the key hole. Just kidding that may not be the smartest thing to do.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:41 PM

Sit 40 yards from his stand and start banging the metal togather alllllll night long. Then take the stand home and find a new location.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:03 PM

tell him to EDITED FOR SKIRTING PROFANITY FILTER and move to somewhere else. then put ur scent all over that spot and try to scare all the deer away from that area
Old 09-24-2006, 03:07 PM

Hear stories like this all the time here in NJ ... I hunt exclusively out of a climber on public land just to avoid situations such as these. Most people I know and hunt with are doing the same. It is a shame, but not a whole lot you can do.

Was it there in the evening?
Old 09-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

At least he didn't steal your stand.
Only because he didn't have time to do so, after all he disassembled and hid it.That's what I'd be more pissed at[:@].First off you have to expect this leaveing a stand of any kind on public land. There's really not much you can do, there's evadently no hunters per sq area rule there so it looks to be 1st come 1st serve.You can try talking to him and come up with a compromise but you both are probablydoomed if you both hunt it.Keep your dignity and move on or share the location and both go home sad at the end of the day.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Know the feeling, have had two hanging tree stands stolen myself. thats why I switched to a climbing tree stand. Now I dont even worry cause my stand goes wherever I go. At least you were able to recover yours.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

What do ya mean "at least he didn't steal his stand" , in my opinion he did and he was just waiting for the right time to get it out of there .I'd definately not leave it there any more unless you lock the son-of a-B up before you leave it .
I don't think talking will cut it ,but it may be worth a try ,just don't accuse him .

nubo
Old 09-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude, I don't know where you live or what your situation is, but I would cut my losses and never go back there. Even if this deviant all of the sudden left for good, you would still have to put up with other hunters not considering you or your hunt(s). Bag that joint.

I am a bit biased as I have private land accessable to me. If you can secure something like that, try your best to gain rights to it. If you don't then just don't leave anything in the woods. Bring it in, take it back out with you. Also, look for a place way off the beaten path, although it sounds like you already have. There is no use in trying to reason with a person who is going to to act like that in the first place. If he doesn't consider you now, he may at best say that he will in the future. I personally wouldn't bet 5 cents on it.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

How long have you had your stand out before the opener? Theres a lot of guys who get ticked with people "leaving" there stands on public hunting grounds, claiming a spot for the whole season.

I by no means agree with touching anybody elses gear or stealing. I hunt private land and have lost 2 stands, a camera and decoy do to thieves, and would be scared of what I may do if I caught one [:@].

If I were you, I wouldn't be leaving anything in there and just stick to your climber. Just get into there earlier before anybody to jump on a tree and the area you want.

Dont mean to ruffle anybodys feathers. Im not looking to debate the use of stands on public grounds. I hunt both, but dont leave stands on the pubic.

Quick Reply: trouble with other hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.