Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hit buck not dead >

Hit buck not dead

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hit buck not dead

Old 09-23-2006, 09:10 AM

Default RE: Hit buck not dead

The water is the key. I would look further in the marsh.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I have NEVER in my life heard of a true confirmed double lunged ANYTHING going 200 yards. His shot was not what he thinks.
Heart shot animals can run a bit further than a double lung but even then 200 yards is farther than anything I've heard as well.
They just don't get that far before stopping and succumbing to such injuries and loss of blood or air.

He quite possibly hit a bit low and back of the heart area catching the nearside lung only. Thats an animal that will bleed well with lung blood but can cover some serious ground.

All I can say is that you need more manpower to search that marsh and surrounding areas. Hard hit animals can be prone to sudden changes in direction and many times just aren't where you expect them to be.
IMO you need to skip the hunting tomorrow and do more searching.
matt, i used to have the same idea that a double lung shot deer would fall in within 100 yards, but last saturday i had an experience with an out of the pack montec that gave less than perfect results. double lung shot, 32 yards, doe ran 70 yards and bedded down, not ball up or crash.....i left her for about an hour, when i returned she was gone. at that point i thought maybe not a double lung shot, but found the deer a short time later, still alive.......she ran from point of impact about 125 yards. when i got to the deer, she was on her feet, and wobbling back and forth. she allowed me to get within 15 yards of her, and i could see bubbles coming from her side. i knew i had one lung at that point, but when my buddy described the same on the other side i was dumbfounded.....we let her be, she died within a few minutes of us finding her standing. when i field dressed the deer, she was in fact shot thru the lower 1/3 of both lungs and even had a blazer vane still inside one lung. that doe should have died long before she did, and i take full responsibilty for not sharpening the montec, which i knew better to begin with.....she didnt cover 200 yards, but lived much longer than i ever dreamed......

as for the wounded deer, i agree, look some more....i hate giving up on a deer.....
Old 09-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

We havent gave up yet. went out last saturday searched the marsh more didnt find it. Right at dark heard some coyotes to the south of the stand across the river about 200 yrds south of the stand. Heard them yipping and howling think they found the deer dead or crippled. Heard them for about 10-15 minuets sounded about like 4 of them then they got quite we think they found the deer. We are about to be leaving to go check it out tonight and see if we find it or what remains atleast maybe get the horns. Ill keep you posted thanks for the thoughts.
JOE
Old 09-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

well if anyone is still keeping tabs on this thread I went out tonight with the little time I had to see if crows found it or I could smell it. Crows were going nuts on the ridge across the river. Did not have time to get to the ridge going out with my buddy up the river and onto that ridge. Am almost 100 percent certain those crows were on the deer. will keep you updated on how thursday turns out.
JOE
Old 09-26-2006, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

alrigth get over there before the squirrels take to the antlers!! I hope its the deer, id say its gonna smell wonderful, id just take the horns and leave it for the critters to finish.Id say theyd like a steak every now and then
Old 09-26-2006, 10:45 PM
Fork Horn

did you find the arrow. if not i have seen some shoulder shots that would fool you into thinking lungs by the blood but i saw the deer when hit and the arrow was only broadhead deep into the shoulder, same for the hind leg. it was really bright red blood.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Fork Horn

did u find it ?!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Fork Horn

bubbles in the blood dont mean its a lung hit although there will be bubbles when it is a lung hit. if you puncture the diaphram of the deer (behind the vitals) it will "breath" out blood and cause bubbles and when you look at the animal or hear it youll think lungs for sure sounds exactly the same when its breathing.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:41 PM

So how'd it go today?