Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 To all you guys that use climbing stands: >

To all you guys that use climbing stands:

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

To all you guys that use climbing stands:

Old 09-21-2006, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default To all you guys that use climbing stands:

What do you do if the tree has branches in your way? What do you do if the tree is crooked?

It seems like the only way a climber makes sense is for "telephone pole" type trees. That's fine, but what do you use for cover?

I don't know about your area, but around here those telephonepoletrees are very few and far between. And if you do find such a tree, odds are it's not where the deer are going to be.

I've considered buying one but I can't see it being that useful for the reasons above. How do you guys handle these issues?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: To all you guys that use climbing stands:

Branches? I carry a folding saw.

Crooked? I keep climbing or adjust my stand accordingly.

For repeatitive hunting spots, I prefer loc-ons with climbing sticks.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

limb saw, use the natural cover of the surrounding trees and undergrowth, i have climbed trees that have a little crook in them, i can useally find a goodtree within 10-20 yards of the trail, and the rest will take care of itself, i love portable climbers, been using them close to 30 years, great tool, but always, always, always use safety devices, all you got to do is read some of the first huning reports from here or your local paper every year and you'll read where it has happened again[&o], some one has fallen
Old 09-21-2006, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, Gerber makes a fantastic little folding saw which can cut through branches as thick as your wrist in less than a minute.

Like Rob said, you can adjust your stand to be level at huntingheight before you ever start climbing; that simply takes some experience.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think cutting all the branches on the way upthe tree is a good option for me.For starters, talk about working up a sweat. On public land, it's illegal to hack up a tree like that. And on private land, it's disrespectful to the landowner. It's one thing to trim a branch or two for a shooting lane. But to take out every branch from the base of a tree up to 15 or 20 feet just so you can climb it seems unreasonable to me.

I'm not knocking climbers, I'm just looking for somebody to alleviate my concerns about them so I can justify buying one.

What about cover? You can't have any cover below you because you cut it all down on the way up, right?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:38 PM

I never think about it because almost all of the trees thick enough to use have no branches below the height that I hunt from. A good thing to think about though.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

gzg, you're right... when you're talking about trees like you defined in your last post, climbers are not a good option. I find a different tree in cases like that.

You may want to consider an option like a nice light fixed position with some of the newer climbing sticks. Summit and Lone Wolf are among some of the best I've seen, and I think Ameristep has some good ones as well. I'm sure there's others as well.

I bought a climber originally to hunt public land where inserting a screw-in step (my favorite method; I've got about a hundred Cranford EZ steps), but I'm thinking of going the way I just mentioned soon.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

They have their place, but there are places were lok-ons are much better. I've climbed right past small limbs, not recommended and takes some doing. It is difficult and time consuming. I also hunt various places were things cannot be done, but I've never hunted a places were I couldn't use a climber or be in an effective spot. I often pick a tree that has a Y or several and get into that, plenty of cover. Hunted one place were. in 70 acres there was one tree that could have any stand in it. I hunted it, had 4 deer in 20 yrds that day, They bustedme, but I could have shot them.It took them some time to stare down the point of my shaft.I never released.

Stands are one thing that require diversity. I think you'll like the freedom! Maybe you won't
Old 09-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like climbers may not be for you.

But for coverI usually attach brushy limbs to the base with zip ties (if you leave them loose you can reuse them) then I climb to the lower portion of the canopy. Tree selection is the key- if the canopy is 30' up and you don't wish to climb that high pick another tree.
Ilike to climb between 20& 23' at theseat, so a tree with a canopy ~30' up is just about right. I'll go lower if the wind is right.

Quick Reply: To all you guys that use climbing stands:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.