Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Annual Kill'em and Grill'em Thread >

Annual Kill'em and Grill'em Thread

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Annual Kill'em and Grill'em Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 10:37 AM

Default Annual Kill'em and Grill'em Thread

I think most of you can guess what this is in response too...
I actually thought of a purpose for this post though.
Lets post all the best advice we have, or have gotten, about all things post recovery.
From gutting to grilling, if you have some advice, post it up.

Remember that any animal you take is a trophy. The act of getting out into the woods is holy and wonderful enough, but the ability to actually get a shot at any animal and harvest it legally is the most wonderful feeling any hunter can have. Whether a spike, Pope and Young class buck, or doe, the harvest is due the respect of us all, regardless of our personal philosophies on management or trophy ethics.
Enjoy...and Happy Hunting Season All
Old 09-20-2006, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Annual Kill'em and Grill'em Forum

Man, I thought there was food here. Just a little input from me. Clean and prepare your meat for freezing as quickly as possible, however, do not freeze it immmediately. I like to wrap mine in freezer paper then alluminum foil or freezer bags (or both) then chill the meat in the fridge or cooler if you have access to one for several days. I usually chill mine justa few degrees above freezingfor 4 or 5 daysbut have heard of people chilling it longer than that (7-10 days). This allows the meat to break down naturally a littleand will result in more tender meat. Also if you are interesred in making jerky out of your deer, elk, bear, etc. stay away from liquid seasonings, stick with powdered or dry seasoning, rubs, and cure(salt). Liquid seasonings will add hours of time to dehydrating. I'm sure most know both of these tips but some may not, I constantly see guys put their meat straight into the freezer and talking about making jerky with "liquid smoke" or similiar liquid seasonings.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Try not to split the pelvic bone. Ring the anus and pull the inners out with the guts. It keeps the hams and meat in the area cleaner and makes for a nicer drag without the rear legs flopping open.

Marinate venison in italian dressing...mMMmm
Old 09-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Our area is famous for a BBQ sandwich called the Spiedie.Here are some recipes for this marinated sandwich.

Hint mix the dry ingrediants on the meat and then add the wet the spices will stick to the meat that way.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,spiedie,FF.html
Old 09-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I buy my beef by the side, costs about $650-$700 total, depending on weight,and lasts me about 10 months for a family of four. I cook it UNSEASONED and it is mouthwatering. I also pass on the dinks and shoot only 3.5 or older bucks.
Oh, what was this thread about?
Old 09-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry 3 knives for gutting/cleaning. I carry a full size foldable gerber that is razor sharp for the majority of the work. I also carry a gerber zipper style gut hook for opening the body cavity. I also carry a 4" flexible steel Rapala fillet knife with me. I cut the cornhole out like Rob mentioned, but I use this rapala knife to do that part. Itis flexible enough and skinny enough to get in there without getting in the way of the pelvic bones and you never accidentally cut something that you don't want to by accident. Once the cornhole is cut out, I cut a 3" piece of my boot laces oruse zip ties from my pack that I put around it to make sure no poop squeezes out when Ipull the cornhole attached to theguts up and out of the body cavity. Works like a charm and I never end up having to smell guts or getting junk on the meat.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually like to split the pelvic bone to allow for some flexibility dragging through tough brush - personal preference I guess.

Anyhow after making body cavity cut, I cut the windpipe and start to pull it toward the anus, sometimes I'll have to make a few small cuts along the way but for the most part everything just "peels" right out of the body - you wouldn't believe how clean the cavity is once you've perfected this, works even better if you have a buddy pull the windpipe while you make the necessary cuts as he's pulling. The key is to not to pull too hard to sever the windpipe, I usually wrap it around my handbecause the blood make my hand slippery. This may be common knowledge I don't know but works all the same.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:19 PM

If it's brown.........

Heheh, just wanted to try and rile up the QDM/Trophy guys [8D]

My hint: If you think you'll have to cross water in getting your deer out of the woods, don't gut it until you have crossed the water. It will be more boyant and make it easier to get across (especially if you are alone).

If it's a clear running stream however, you can dress it on the other side (once you've crossed of course) and use your field dressing gloves to collect and squirt water into the cavity to rinse out any congealed blood and other matter.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh and whatever you do, don't forget the testicles, they make for some good eatin!!
Old 09-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

I carry 3 knives for gutting/cleaning. I carry a full size foldable gerber that is razor sharp for the majority of the work. I also carry a gerber zipper style gut hook for opening the body cavity. I also carry a 4" flexible steel Rapala fillet knife with me. I cut the cornhole out like Rob mentioned, but I use this rapala knife to do that part. Itis flexible enough and skinny enough to get in there without getting in the way of the pelvic bones and you never accidentally cut something that you don't want to by accident. Once the cornhole is cut out, I cut a 3" piece of my boot laces oruse zip ties from my pack that I put around it to make sure no poop squeezes out when Ipull the cornhole attached to theguts up and out of the body cavity. Works like a charm and I never end up having to smell guts or getting junk on the meat.
Great Post laughed my a$$ off when I read it.

Quick Reply: Annual Kill'em and Grill'em Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.