Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snake Bite

Old 09-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default Snake Bite

Has anybody ever been snake bitten by a poisonous snake and if so what did you do to live? I hunt and area that has cottom mouths copperheads and timber rattlers, if I were to be bitten by one of these what chances would I have if I had to walk a ways then drive aways?
Old 09-20-2006, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Snake Bite

To answer your question. I don't know. I have often wondered the same thing.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

my advice...carry a cell phone. them species usually arent fatal or TOO serious. though i wouldnt wan bit by any of them. i understand if your deep in the woods and it immobilizes you or something, thats where a phone comes into play. sure you might not have service wayyyyy down in the valley, but its worth a shot. chances are 911 will atleast connect. all they need is that and they will have your location.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

DOn't know about copperhead and cotton mouth but I've read a fair amount about the timber rattler. Death as a result of tr bites is rare. It's said that a healthy adult can take a bite from an average size tr and without any treatment at allis unlikely todie. Of course you should absolutely seek immediate treatment if bitten. They are indeed dangerous. Those in the most danger are children or elderly people or people with some health condition that makes them unable to fight the poison. The bigger you are the safer you are as your larger body helps dilute the poisin. A bad situation is a large snake and a small person. Hope this helps a little.

Oh yea, it's also not recommended anymore to apply a turnakit (sp) or to cut the bite and try to suck the poison out. Experts believe there is more potential harm than benefit. Just seek medical attention as soon as possible.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

I am a big person though somaybe that will help, I am 6' 3" and weigh 285. but that dont make me bullet proof...
Old 09-20-2006, 10:32 AM

As he stated above, you will live if you get to a hospital in a few hours time. The quicker you get there the better, just dont panic and make the venom spread faster. From what I have read about those 3 species of snakes the copper head is the least poisionous followed by the TR and then the cotton mouth is the most poisenous out of the 3 and the most aggressive as well. Those cottonmouths are some pretty honery critters. I have delt with more than my share down here in Louisiana and they will come right after you in a second. I usually just beat them to death with a stick so I dont spook anything turkey hunting or have no choice when bow hunting.I dont know about yall but I am going to try my best to not find out the hard way.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

I am from Louisiana aswell, I see alot of cotton mouths and copper heads and every now and then a TR,
Old 09-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Awe come on fellas .. Back in my Boy Scout days we had to learn emergencey first aid and one of the things we had to know about was snake bites.
Now it really helps if you have a snake bite kit but if you don't then you better have a very sharp knife.
Heres what you gotta do : First you gotta cut small( X's ) on the bite wound , should be two x's one for each puncture wound.
Second you gotta draw the vemon out by sucking on the wound keep doing this until you think you got all the vemon.
Third cover the wound with some type of bandage or some clothing.
Then get your butt to the hospital as soon as possiable.
Oh one other thing I forgot to mention before you do the first thing you should try cut off the blood flow by using some type of turnikit .
Say you got bitten on your leg then tie something around your leg just below the knee make sure its real tight.
Another thing DON'T GET BITTEN WHEN YOUR PEEING.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RDHunter

Another thing DON'T GET BITTEN WHEN YOUR PEEING.
That's called a snake fight!

Tom
Old 09-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: killadoe

I am a big person though somaybe that will help, I am 6' 3" and weigh 285. but that dont make me bullet proof...
I'm a little bigger (6'5" 295)than you, and I wouldn't mess with snakes (even though I have before). Being bigger may help but there are other factors to consider (allergic reaction, where the bite is, size of the snake).

My dad was bitten by a copperhead when he was five. This was back in the 1930's, before antivenom. They used coal oil to "pull" the venom out. I don't know if the treatment is worse than the bite, but obviously my dad lived through it, otherwise I wouldn't be here.

Quick Reply: Snake Bite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.