Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Staying cool on walks to the treestand when its hot >

Staying cool on walks to the treestand when its hot

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Staying cool on walks to the treestand when its hot

Old 09-20-2006, 09:35 AM

Default Staying cool on walks to the treestand when its hot

Just wanted to hear what you guys do to stay cool on the walks to the stand when its hot in the early season. In VA, we have the early urban archery and it started 09/16/06. The weather today is going to be in the low 70s but the walk to the tree stand always makes me sweat. After I washed my camo last night, I put them in the freezer to make them really cold. Hopefully this will keep my body temp down and thus reducing sweat and odor. What else do you guys do to prevent sweat and stay cool. Let me know
Old 09-20-2006, 12:01 PM

Default RE: Staying cool on walks to the treestand when its hot

I start elk hunting around the 20th of august each year where the temps can get up 80 plus. What i like to do on the scorchers is not fully dress. I drive out to my spot in my underwear, then put on my shorts and pants and a light under armor shirt. I walk to my stand slowly trying not to break a sweat at all. Once i am up in the stand i give myself 10 minutes or so to cool down b4 i put on my camo jacket. Be careful when walking with your jacket off that your not touching alot of vegitation without your scentlock on. Also once up in the stand i douse myselft with scent killer/earth cover scent again to mask whatever sweat i might have if possible. Seems to work very well for me on those 6 hot days we have during hunting season.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pack all my clothing, even when it's cold as heck. I sweat real bad, so I only wear a T-shirt, even if it's below freezing. Then, by the time I'm at my stand, I set-up slowly, then as I start getting cold, I start putting the layers on. Works the best for me....
Old 09-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not exactly what you'd call "skinny", so its essential that I keep almost all my gear in a scent proof bag, and then get dressed right under my stand.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Lone Wolf

I pack all my clothing, even when it's cold as heck. I sweat real bad, so I only wear a T-shirt, even if it's below freezing. Then, by the time I'm at my stand, I set-up slowly, then as I start getting cold, I start putting the layers on. Works the best for me....

Ditto Lone Wolf
Old 09-20-2006, 03:21 PM

Dress as lightly as possible, and walk slowly to my stand, stopping frequently to cool off.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:33 PM

I just walk really slowly. The walk to my stand is an easy one though.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:49 PM

I was in my underwear with my camo in my pack when I spotted my brown bear, that might be a different issue in an urban setting though, nobody needs to see that!
Old 09-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

A good hydration pack. You can try the underarmor cool gear.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:12 PM

I hunt in a south florida swamp our season opened sept 2, it's 95 degrees and humidy as hell. What I do is before season even starts I spend as much time as I can out in the heat. You can get your body to adapt to the hot weather. You'll sweat less and be more comfortable.

Quick Reply: Staying cool on walks to the treestand when its hot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.